Discuss Large floors in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DemoXpert

Question for the pros- how large a floor b4 having to add expansion joints?
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Maximum bay size of 10m in each direction I believe is British standards.
I've always gone for 8m.

Take it there's none in the substrate? What's the room size? Any UFH? And what are you fixing?

D

DemoXpert

Fixing porcelain, no UFH, not certain on the exact size of the room... Will get the size soon. No expansion joints on the substrate. Thanks for your reply AliGage

D

DemoXpert

Think you read my mind, as I was about to ask about ditra- under what circumstances would you decide to use it? This being an up and coming bathroom showroom, I don't think the guy will want to part with the dosh, as ditra is not cheap!... Besides I saw the previous showroom and there was no ditra whatsoever, but I could surely suggest! As an uncoupling solution in this case?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Wouldnt worry too much about expansion joints then. Id presume bays for displays will be set out and tiled independently.
Use chrome threshold "T" bars to finish the display bay tiles with the main walkway flooring. These, effectively will be suitable expansion allowance.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like anhydrite to me...

C

Concrete guy

In years gone past when we used to fit out tile showrooms for a local firm (Maxon tiles) that eventually became part of CTD, they were conscious that being a showroom they need to periodically change display tiling.

For flooring we used to paste lining paper (wallpaper) to the floor before it was tiled so the display could easily be removed in the future without tearing up the substrate. These were on screeds mostly.

Ditra matting is likely overkill on a job of this nature because the floor will probably only be designed to a finite lifespan (until the tile is out of production).

Reply to Large floors in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks