Discuss Large Floor - Advice on Expansion Joints needed in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Whooshman

Hello All,
I’m looking for some advice regarding expansion joints as I am planning a large floor around 110 sqm- I have attached the layout.
The tiles will be Porcelain, 600 x 600
The sub floor will be 18mm ply in all areas except in the dining room (dining room is the 26sqm area on diagram) and conservatory which are concrete screed.
My thoughts were to put Expansion Joints in the following areas:

1. At the toilet door
  2. Between the main hall and the walkway
  3. At the door to the utility room
  4. Between the walkway and the dining room
  5. Between the walkway and the conservatory
How does this seem to you? Would I need extra in the dining/conservatory areas? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
WM
(Background: I have around 8 years experience but have never tiled a floor the size I’m asking about)

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 82
J

J Sid

Are you really tiling straight on to 18mm ply with no uncoupling membrane?
What is under the ply?
Is there any deflection on the floor?

M

m3fitter

insist on ditra.. not recommend.. as you guarantee the install. you'll need decoupling across the different substrates and then you've raised it all by 6mm in that area, so insist on ditra'ing the lot, it makes sense... and good practice, remember to prime the wood, and use correct adhesive on ditra and tiles

M

m3fitter

willdo, walked away from a job a couple of months ago - 33 sqm, customer refused decoupling or expansion.

quite right, if we all do it, in the end, they will all know, that's it the right way to do it, for instance, look at the amount of cracked tiles / grout that float about on rated people and checkatrade leads.. I've seen tiles crack on UFH screed personally after 5 years ( 600x600 porcs )

W

Whooshman

where does this leave me with expansion joints though? Would de-coupling on its own be enough? I didn't think so, hence the original query

W

White Room

The only real stresses your'll get are from the block walls, the stud work will be fixed to the floor anyway....

Reply to Large Floor - Advice on Expansion Joints needed in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks