Discuss Lappato Finished Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

D1zzy

Hi - finally decided on my kitchen floor tiles - Calalgrande basaltina -natural finish only to find that the factory is about to shut for August and can't get them 'til mid sept. However they had the same ones in a Lappato finish in stock and we could have them in a couple of weeks - so kinda got talked into them. Anyway am having a few second thoughts so just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this finish (light colour). The tiles are 60 x 30 and as far as I can see from the sample the "polishing" does not extend right to the tile edges - so am now wondering if I'll end up with a striped effect polish/not polish. Floor is 20 sqm.
Thanks

D

DHTiling

I heard about some stone last week that the polishing didn't go right into the corners, not sure on the stones name though...???

And my supplier isn't a happy bunny as he has about 3 or 4 crates of it...

IMO polished is just that and not patchy bits on edges and corners.

D

D1zzy

I heard about some stone last week that the polishing didn't go right into the corners, not sure on the stones name though...???

And my supplier isn't a happy bunny as he has about 3 or 4 crates of it...

IMO polished is just that and not patchy bits on edges and corners.
Don't know if it makes a difference but the tiles are porceain not stone and from the sample it looks as if along the length of the "long" edges a couple of cm are left unpolished so not patchy more design.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Yep i agree, more than likely a design to them....if you not happy then send then back..:thumbsup:

D

D1zzy

Yep i agree, more than likely a design to them....if you not happy then send then back..:thumbsup:
Don't think I can do that as they ship em in to order - and to be honest we won't know the effect until they are down, which is why I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this in situ. The sample we have is dark grey so I'm assiming that any light/shade effects will be minimised with a paler tile

D

DHTiling

I haven't no....if you are unsure then i wouldn't place the order...re-choose..

D

D1zzy

I haven't no....if you are unsure then i wouldn't place the order...re-choose..
Toooooooo late - had to place it Saturday to get it on this weeks (last before shut down) pickup.
If we had been unable to get them the kitchen would have had to go back to Sept; which would have meant the CH replacement which follows the kitchen going back to the cold months and that's pre-supposing Electrician; plumber; tiler, kitchen fitter; plasterer and painter could all reschedule.

Anyway they are the colour, type; & size that we wanted - just they now have a "sheen" which we hadn't planned - so chances are we are twittering about not much, and who knows we may have hated the natural look once it was down.

Thanks for your input

D

DHTiling

No probs...will you let us know how it go's..i know it's a while of yet but like to know if you are happy with the product once it is down..and maybe a few pics as well please would be good..:thumbsup:

D

D1zzy

No probs...will you let us know how it go's..i know it's a while of yet but like to know if you are happy with the product once it is down..and maybe a few pics as well please would be good..:thumbsup:
Will do - they are due down week commencing 24th August - feel free to chase me if I forget the pics.

Just need to decide now about underfloor heating, which we'd decided not to do & then started to think - better to say "we put it in and didn't need it", than "I wish we'd done it" after the floor is down - so I guess we'll do it.

(see how decisive we are....... aren't you glad you don't have to deal with us:dizzy2:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alpha Omega

Will do - they are due down week commencing 24th August - feel free to chase me if I forget the pics.

Just need to decide now about underfloor heating, which we'd decided not to do & then started to think - better to say "we put it in and didn't need it", than "I wish we'd done it" after the floor is down - so I guess we'll do it.

(see how decisive we are....... aren't you glad you don't have to deal with us:dizzy2:)

deffo agree,
Better to have it unused than not have it at all, but you will love it, my wife sleeps on the conservatory floor cause it's so warm !!

D

davy_G

deffo agree,
Better to have it unused than not have it at all, but you will love it, my wife sleeps on the conservatory floor cause it's so warm !!

And whats the electric bills like?? :mad2:Just turn the electric blanket on!:hurray:

D

D1zzy

Well we now have a floor and we love it. In fact we are thinking of cancelling the kitchen units and just picnicing on the floor. I don't know if the pics do it justice but if I can figure out how I will upload some.

Next decision - silver grey grout - do I seal it and if so with what - seal guard?

D

D1zzy

Well - since the trades are back in tomorrow - I decided best to seal the grout today with Seal Guard. Looks fine time will tell

Reply to Lappato Finished Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks