Discuss Kerapoxy how clean is clean ? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

ftm

Looking for some advice please,

Just used Kerapoxy medium grey for the first time last night, really very surprised, expecting to be chipping araldite with a chisel of my mosaics, nothing of the sort. Just in case anyone is wanting to try I would highly recommend it, the main problem I had was mixing it at night, because it was cold "Up North" it mixed like a thick butter, I only have 2.5m2 to tile but out of my 2kg tub, just about got 1m2. So spreading was tough going (probably warm with water next time), however removing the excess, and emulsyfying followed by cleaning diagonally with a damp sponge, has given a (in my words) fantastic result, and was no different to putting on ordinary grout.

Really very pleased, cleaned the floor about multiple times as per the manufacturers instructions with plenty of water and a damp towel to remove the excess residue.

On the whole only slightly more awkward than ordinary grout, give it a go.

My issue,

We are 12 hours in now, the epoxy is starting to harden to the point where it is resisting me sticking my nail into it, as I have two areas in the wetroom one grouted one not, it is easy for me to make a comparison, the tile surfaces look exactly the same, I cannot feel any residue on the tiles I have grouted with my finger, but if I put a bare foot on them they are very slightly tacky.

I very gently had another go this morning with an emulsfying pad and plenty of water, but to be honest I would be overjoyed if they dried and looked like how they do now, do I need to keep cleaning until there is no tackiness, or am I best leaving alone ?

I would be grateful for any response.

Cheers

Mark

F

ftm

Glad it was of some use, honestly it was very straight forward and not like working with araldite as I thought, as stated I will probably warm in a bucket of warm water to get a better consistency before spreading the next time, as my overall coverage was poor, but honestly no different to ultracolour.

R

Rich

As long as you removed the "milky" residue you should be fine. Sometimes you need to go over it again with an emulsifying pad a few hours later to pick up any last residue but I think it should be fine.

Be careful warming the epoxy as it is exothermic, it might well set the grout off to quick. Did you use an epoxy float? It is pretty chewy stuff but the heavier floats make a difference. Also just to add the Kerapoxy Design is even easier to use :thumbsup:

F

ftm

Thanks for the reply, yes it was an epoxy float, it wasn't really an issue, just heavy going compared to normal grout, it ws fairly cold last night. Yes never thought about that with warming it, I did get my 1m2 done in about 20 minutes, including the first couple of cleans as I was moving as fast as possible, terrfied if I was honest, however as soon as I noticed how it the residue was coming off, I was allot happeir. I have read some horror stroies about epoxy, and virtually every tile place I went to shook their heads saying avoid, but it really wasn't that bad, and the result I am over the moon with.

Once again thanks for the response.

F

ftm

Can I apologise for the spelling and grammer above, not sure what in my coffee at the minute :)

F

ftm

Just an update, has dried perfectly with no residue or tackiness, over the moon with the result, not the cheapest way of grouting but honestly worth every penny, if I can do it anyone can.

Many thanks Mark

O

One Day

I like the stuff tbh but I think it's too thick. you need arms like popeye!
BAL's easypoxy has the right consistancy for UK use but as it's only in white and grey it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard for someone needing to match stone flooring.

U

user123

I've been using Litochrom Starlike just lately, wonderful to work with, very happy with it :) It's one of those horror stories, totally out of date now.

R

Rich

I couldnt agree more, love the stuff. Epoxy has changed a lot over the years and I think it really was a no go area but now adays its a piece of cake as long as you know what your facing. I think most horror stories start from people picking it up and using it like normal grout without knowing what they are dealing with.

R

Rich

Just an update, has dried perfectly with no residue or tackiness, over the moon with the result, not the cheapest way of grouting but honestly worth every penny, if I can do it anyone can.

Many thanks Mark

How about some pics Mark?

Reply to Kerapoxy how clean is clean ? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks