Discuss Just starting out... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 46792

Hello I'm not totally new to this forum as I got some valuable advice on here last year re: tiling my bathroom floor. But subsequently I took a tiling course at UK Pro tiling. It was a really excellent course and covered so much and now I'm looking for my next move. Whilst I have some DIY experience and experience on a short course and a lot of theoretical knowledge, I dont feel particularly confident marketing myself as a professional tiler - because I am not - in order to find some work to get the experience. Chicken and egg type thing. I work as a web developer so I ultimately I should be sorted for online marketing etc. I thought about asking around for work experience but not sure how that would go down. Does anyone experienced in the trade have any suggestions on building confidence, getting experience?

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome and good luck.
Your situation has been discussed many times on the forum and there is mixed replies.
How do you get experience without doing jobs, and should you be charging for work that you have no experience in doing.
I am not the right person to give advise on this one really as my position is this is a trade and as such an apprenticeship is the only way forward.

O

One Day

I started out from a sales role. Totally no idea what i was doing looking back. I'd done a bit of this and that, thought tiling was easy.
I think my sales skills helped me talk my way into jobs. Then it was a case of making sure i actually delivered the goods. a very tough few first years followed. I earned nothing because i was so slow. Quality always first, speed comes in time.
If you always turn out a good job, then you have as much right to be tiling as a time served tiler in my (inflammatory) opinion!

T

Time's Ran Out

Still comes down to charging people for work you have no experience in doing - that's morally wrong!

H

hmtiling

I did a an apprenticeship and it was all ceramics back then. I learnt a lot more after it and am still learning now.

O

One Day

Still comes down to charging people for work you have no experience in doing - that's morally wrong!

It is if you are pretending you are experienced. If you're upfront and honest and yet can convince the householder to take you on - that's ok surely?

B

Blunt Tool

Hello I'm not totally new to this forum as I got some valuable advice on here last year re: tiling my bathroom floor. But subsequently I took a tiling course at UK Pro tiling. It was a really excellent course and covered so much and now I'm looking for my next move. Whilst I have some DIY experience and experience on a short course and a lot of theoretical knowledge, I dont feel particularly confident marketing myself as a professional tiler - because I am not - in order to find some work to get the experience. Chicken and egg type thing. I work as a web developer so I ultimately I should be sorted for online marketing etc. I thought about asking around for work experience but not sure how that would go down. Does anyone experienced in the trade have any suggestions on building confidence, getting experience?
Hi, have a look around your area, local tilers, tile shops etc and see if an experienced tiler is willing to take you on to gain more experience and the longer you are with him the more confidence you will acquire :)

R

rufus the tiler

Like I always say to people is that I could teach anyone to tile in a day.....ie where to start from...wall prep....room measurements.....cutting tiles wet and dry.....trim cutting....what products.....etc etc.....then they would be able to tile to a good standard until they come across issues which happen a lot such as walls out and uneven walls etc....these things will need someone with a bit of savvy to work out how to overcome them.........this is what slows you down when first starting out but a bit of pointing out by an experienced tiler and you will get there.....but under no circumstances cut corners to speed you up......at this quiet time you will need good reveiws

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Welcome!

Joe

TF
Reaction score
I'm not being condescending at all in this post even though it's going to sound like it. I'm just offering advice like the other guys.

I'm 29 years old now. At age 16 I started my apprenticeship in Tiling. Piece of cake, in a few weeks I'll be knocking out bathrooms like a pro!

Honestly my friend I couldn't have been more wrong. You see there's so much more to Tiling than sticking tiles on the wall. Just look through this forum! I left my apprenticeship at age 19 after 3 years and I still felt in comparison to the blokes I worked with like I wasn't a time served tiler. They had knowledge and skills that are truely hard to put into words. Every job is different. We would spend hours setting out tricky floors and prepping jobs etc. There's so much I learned from them and I was good but no were near good enough to go out on my own. It takes years of dealing with misshapen walls, hundreds of different tiles, different substrates prepared differently by other tradesmen, good materials / bad materials, tools, walls running unparalleled to each other, spotting mistakes made by plumbers / joiners / plasterers / builders that will effect the outcome of the job YOU'RE finishing for a paying customer. The challenges are everyday. It's more than just a skill in my opinion. It's more like a mindset that can only be developed by learning from experience over the course of years. As a novice you'll make mistakes as most apprentices do even time served experienced tilers make mistakes. It's part of learning but if you're charging customers enough to earn a living for yourself and want to be seen as a pro to make a business like Tiling work you have to learn from a pro. There's just no way around it in my opinion.

Again I'm not being negative. I just wanted to give you advice as I myself am currently working alongside a pro in my spare time to get myself more experience to maybe make the leap and go at it alone when I'm ready. I have always done jobs over the years in my spare time for friends and family etc + 3 year apprenticeship and I need experience. It can be done with time and dedication. I hope you take this advice and seek a pro to learn from even if it's for free.

Good luck mate

R

rufus the tiler

I sort of agree with Joe, but I have never had pro training and now run my own Bathroom installation company.....and without blowing smoke up my own ***, I cant find anyone to tile for me locally who is up to my standard....I know this makes me sound like a bell but I am just being honest.....obviously it would be better and easier to learn all the pitfalls off a pro but pros are not always willing to have someone tag along with them.......I am not trying to say I am the best tiler or even close but I got myself to a very good standard by doing it the hard way.....so it is achievable but not ideal.....good luck pal....if you wanna check where I am at check out Hull Bathrooms on Facebook.

Reply to Just starting out... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks