Discuss Just finished my Poverty Bathroom- Thank you all for the advice! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wau5

I have to admit that this has been the most helpful and knowledgeable forum I have ever seen, I had a plan to re-do my bathroom,had never tiled before nor done any bathroom before. Had some carpentry skills and some other skills I had picked up in past but that's about it.

I must have created like at least 30 threads in this forum asking about how to do certain things,asking for tool suggestions,material suggestions and just general things about ways to do stuff the best way. Best of all every time I asked, I actually got knowledgeable&detailed answers and suggestions!

I originally had a budget of about £550, Went over it by a lot and actually spent £760.
Had so many unplanned things to buy which I didn't even thought about at first, those little bits&bobs sure does adds up.. Than on top of all that had to do complete new plumbing &piping everywhere,take down and replace an existing wall as it was in poor condition,and so many other things I didn't think about when I first started this.
I think I spent roughly 14-15 full days ( 10+hours per day) on this over about 2.5months ,just working in weekends and whenever I had some time. Fairly positive I could maybe do it now in like 9-10days If I had all the materials ready now I that I have some experience tiling and just know how to do certain stuff.

To keep costs down and to stick to my budget I sourced the most expensive stuff by just buying stuff mostly from ebay, all tiles except some mosaics I got from some ebay auction-someone had changed his mind, sink/toilet/radiator/all taps- again someone had just removed them from a newbuild and got a good deal for some stuff that has been crazy expensive when bought for full price. Flooring- someone had some leftovers, got really quality oak for absolutely nothing. Doors I got from a homebase store which they were closing down and sold them for just 7 pounds each.

All in all a great experience and learned a lot of new things, I'm keen to learn new things and this forum really helped & allowed me to do that :) Have some door architrave pieces left to install when I get them and install a screen but 99% all finished :D

Some pics:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - http://imgur.com/a/xMuKl

IMG_8696.JPG IMG_8697.JPG IMG_8698.JPG IMG_8699.JPG IMG_8701.JPG IMG_8702.JPG IMG_8703.JPG IMG_8705.JPG IMG_8706.JPG

Maybe not to everyone's liking, worked really with what I had and could get due to poverty budget but I like how it turned out myself.
Thanks all, and keep on being like this :)

O

Old Mod

What you've managed to achieve with your budget and skill set, reckon you did a great job. :thumbsup:
You've every right to feel pleased.

Hope the rads still not leaking ;)

I'm pleased we were able to help you through your refit, and thank you for taking the time to mention it.
Cheers.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to admit that this has been the most helpful and knowledgeable forum I have ever seen, I had a plan to re-do my bathroom,had never tiled before nor done any bathroom before. Had some carpentry skills and some other skills I had picked up in past but that's about it.

I must have created like at least 30 threads in this forum asking about how to do certain things,asking for tool suggestions,material suggestions and just general things about ways to do stuff the best way. Best of all every time I asked, I actually got knowledgeable&detailed answers and suggestions!

I originally had a budget of about £550, Went over it by a lot and actually spent £760.
Had so many unplanned things to buy which I didn't even thought about at first, those little bits&bobs sure does adds up.. Than on top of all that had to do complete new plumbing &piping everywhere,take down and replace an existing wall as it was in poor condition,and so many other things I didn't think about when I first started this.
I think I spent roughly 14-15 full days ( 10+hours per day) on this over about 2.5months ,just working in weekends and whenever I had some time. Fairly positive I could maybe do it now in like 9-10days If I had all the materials ready now I that I have some experience tiling and just know how to do certain stuff.

To keep costs down and to stick to my budget I sourced the most expensive stuff by just buying stuff mostly from ebay, all tiles except some mosaics I got from some ebay auction-someone had changed his mind, sink/toilet/radiator/all taps- again someone had just removed them from a newbuild and got a good deal for some stuff that has been crazy expensive when bought for full price. Flooring- someone had some leftovers, got really quality oak for absolutely nothing. Doors I got from a homebase store which they were closing down and sold them for just 7 pounds each.

All in all a great experience and learned a lot of new things, I'm keen to learn new things and this forum really helped & allowed me to do that :) Have some door architrave pieces left to install when I get them and install a screen but 99% all finished :D

Some pics:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - http://imgur.com/a/xMuKl

Maybe not to everyone's liking, worked really with what I had and could get due to poverty budget but I like how it turned out myself.
Thanks all, and keep on being like this :)
Mind if I add some images to your post? We tend to find over time that they get erased from hosting sites and the thread is never as cool.

Thanks for the kind words about the forum :)

They moan a bit but the lads who post here are genuinely good tilers and sound people. :D

K

KateJ

Hey another Ebaying bathroom tiler! I too got some great help on here (and a telling off)..and got a great bathroom for very little. Recently found a tile retailer who don't mind if you raid their skip - so all free from now on. It's fun all the way!!!***

Reply to Just finished my Poverty Bathroom- Thank you all for the advice! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks