Discuss Joining Timber floor with Tile wall? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wau5

Was about to do flooring in my bathroom however got in a dilemma about how to actually do it,
At first I wanted to butt-join the flooring straight up with tile and seal with colour matched silicon beading to cover the small gap and to make it a bit waterproof between the 2 surfaces.
The flooring is 20mm lacquered oak so hopefully will be ok with an occasional splash of water from the wetroom area if wiped off afterwards.
However since it's a 20mm oak it's bound to have some movement so It really wouldn't be probably wise to butt-join it with a tile specially with the wetroom tray where the massive forces from the seasonal movement can possibly compromise my wet-room cubicle? Ideally just for the sake of the good looks I would want to butt-join it with the tiled shower cubicle and leave a larger expansion gap at the other end of the room,however my common sense says not to do it, what options do I have here?
Leaving a proper 8-10mm expansion gap and covering with a strip of small beading? Not the look I would really want...
How would the pros here do it?

pic:
vjvZjuO.jpg

D

Deleted member 43753

also the wall tiling would have sat with a spacing/expansion on top of the finished floor. So the wall tile cut to floor would be last after doing your flooring so your perimeter expansion would be covered by the wall tile

W

wau5

also the wall tiling would have sat with a spacing/expansion on top of the finished floor. So the wall tile cut to floor would be last after doing your flooring so your perimeter expansion would be covered by the wall tile

Yes that would probably have been the right way to do it, however was tiling a larger area for the first time so I kinda 'forgot' about it , actually I think I wanted to achieve the best possible tile finish without the flooring being there and getting in my way so just didn't thought about it much until I was finished :eek:
Amateurs.. I know :D

T

Tile Shop

Reply to Joining Timber floor with Tile wall? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks