Discuss It's all about the bays. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone who's tiled with quarry tiles, or pilks 4 square or similar will know how easy it is to run out of line.
Sure fire way of keeping your tiles stright.....
We used to fit boat loads of smaller tiles this way back in the day.
Brought back memories tiling this job yesterday. :)
20170202_102608.jpg
20170202_103112.jpg
20170202_153417.jpg

L

LM

I use a 600mm roofing square and a 3 meter straight edge and it's the only way I'd do it. Between tile sizes and wavy floors it doesn't take very much to through you off line any other way.

F

Flintstone

Looks good, I've done quite a few quarry tile jobs over the years, some new, some reclaimed, your right you have to be carefull for running off especially if your not using spacers and having a reasonably wide joint. I like to grout them with sand and cement, gives them a real old look like they have been down years

A

Aston

nice one andy.
deano had some pics on the forum of him working in bays with a team of lads on a large commercial floor, not sure if they are still on here?
phil hobsons job was to set out the bays on aldi's and large commercial jobs. He said he could gauge who was quick and who was slow by how well they kept up with each other. The slow ones got found out lol.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
nice one andy.
deano had some pics on the forum of him working in bays with a team of lads on a large commercial floor, not sure if they are still on here?
phil hobsons job was to set out the bays on aldi's and large commercial jobs. He said he could gauge who was quick and who was slow by how well they kept up with each other. The slow ones got found out lol.
I remember that, car showroom or work shop......you can put down some serious meters with this method of tiling..

O

Old Mod

That's how I was taught to do large commercial floors.
I still use the same principle today when ever I'm dealing with irregular sized tiles, handmade or otherwise.
I apply the same technique on walls too, just even out the joints in each individual bay and it gives a more than acceptable finish over the entire area.

J

J Sid

when I first started way back in '86 as a labourer then improver we used to do very large floors, 10's of 1000's of m2 floors, brewery's, milk plants, factory's. Biggest I remember was Walls ice-cream Gloucester (I think)
Anyway, we used the same principle, but we laid in sand and cement and ran ribs down a to drains about 10 mts apart with the high spot half way between them.
once ribs set out it was just a matter of pulling a line between them and bedding a couple of courses at a time.
all pointed in Epoxy.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome. Bet that straight edge doesn't come out much for floors these days.

Reply to It's all about the bays. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks