Discuss Isomat AK-MEGARAPID bottle and bag adhesive. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

This is Isomats @ISOMAT technical support bottle and bag S2 adhesive.
Their version of Keraquick and latex plus.

It's 25kg bag 8kg liquid. On the face of it, not cheap, but with such high yield and a 33kg end mix, it's turns out to be rather bloody cost effective.

So it's Two-component, fast-setting, flexible tile adhesive. It is characterized by extended open time and flexibility. Suitable for fixing ceramic and porcelain tiles on concrete, screeds, render, mosaic, gypsum boards, flat roofs, floors with in-floor heating, swimming pools etc. Ideal for areas that must be ready for use within short time. For indoor and outdoor applications, on walls and floors.
It is classified as C2 FE S2 adhesive, according to EN 12004 and EN 12002.

Tech PDF

I used it about 6 weeks ago on a small timber floor in a loft shower room with thin porcelain tiles.
Floor was securely fastened and an antifracture mat was also used.
I've waited until now to write it up because I wanted to give it the full 28 days and to see if there were any delayed issues.

My biggest concern was it's pot life and open time, I've made it no secret on here that Kerraquick and latex plus and I have a hate, hate relationship.
I hate it! :eek: Sorry, I just do.

In order to test the consistency I had to mix the whole batch in one go obviously, and with 2.5m2 floor to trowel and stick an antifracture and to then trowel both floor and tile and stick them down, I gotta admit it was a daunting task that lay ahead. It was also 23 degrees :confused:
Floor prepped, mat & tiles cut (8 pieces I think)
Wasn't going to be straight forward either, being such a small space every piece had to be 'fed' in under hanging sink and pan, space was at a premium.

So I went for it and mixed the lot, it JUST fitted in to a plasterers bucket, and I mean just haha
Very similar in texture to x7001 if memory serves, gooey and stringy haha well kinda.

I troweled the floor with a 6mm to accept the mat and laid that, bloody mission it was too, trying to feed it under the furniture. By now with the heat I'm dripping wet, and I'm already panicking about the adhesive going off. :D
So mat down and now I've troweled half the floor with 10mm and back buttered appropriate pieces with a 6mm also, and the adhesive is still very loose and useable!
Laid those pieces and repeated for the other half, floor in! I was relieved, very relieved.
So after approx 2 1/2 hrs, not only the adhesive still very useable, I had almost half a bucket left, couldn't believe it tbh!
So yes, yield is anazing, and the pot life truly is greater than 2 1/2 hrs.
Oh it's not what we'd normally class as a rapid setting adhesive, fortunately :)

Next day went back to grout, and when I raked the joints, where you'd normally be creating dust, all I got was slithers of adhesive. So it's definitely very deformable and an S2!
6 weeks on, no phone calls, and a happy tiler. :)

Must admit, I was very happy with every aspect of it.
Gary did say that Kerraquick and latex plus was a little more difficult to remove from his hands than the megarapid, I wouldn't know or even give it a thought cos I wear gloves haha
IMG_8647.JPG IMG_8649.JPG IMG_8650.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

What can you say Julian, seems to do what it says in the tin, but it wasn't exactly pushing it to it's limits, but with the appearance of the raked out adhesive next day, I think you could probably guess that it's a good adhesive.

J

J Sid

the few products I've used have been great, yes would be good to have a few more outlets. Maybe in time

O

Old Mod

Let's hope they can get their adhesives and grouts into more tile shops around the country. Would be nice to have more options!
Agreed Ian, they are trying, but it's a tough market to get into. It needs guys like yourself to try convince local independents to give it a bash.
I know they're happy to offer very good deals initially to get stores to try it.
Acorn ceramics move a fair bit now by all accounts.

O

Old Mod

They're not exclusively tile adhesive manufacturers, they cover the full building adhesive ranges. They have some impressive products tbh.
And their paint is taking off on a massive scale by all accounts.
I've actually spoken to a couple of painters quite by chance about their products and they reckon it's better than Farrow.

B

Blunt Tool

They're not exclusively tile adhesive manufacturers, they cover the full building adhesive ranges. They have some impressive products tbh.
And their paint is taking off on a massive scale by all accounts.
I've actually spoken to a couple of painters quite by chance about their products and they reckon it's better than Farrow.
Custard is better than Farrow and Ball in my opinion:p So a local builders merchant would be more suitable?

O

Old Mod

Custard is better than Farrow and Ball in my opinion:p So a local builders merchant would be more suitable?
Well what I know about paint you could get on half a postage stamp, so I'll except what you say no problem. Cos I don't know haha
Just what I was told.

B

Blunt Tool

Well what I know about paint you could get on half a postage stamp, so I'll except what you say no problem. Cos I don't know haha
Just what I was told.
I kinda just fell into it years back, plasterers were taking the tiling work away so I took their plaster jobs away from them. Then no painters were interested in finishing the bathroom if it wasn't all tiled so I started doing the taping, filling and painting so that I could offer full bathroom installation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Isomat AK-MEGARAPID bottle and bag adhesive. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks