Discuss Is this the best edge to expect on a cut ceramic tile? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Lyssi

We have a bathroom renovation ongoing, and to cut a long story short I am not happy with the finish of the grout and the tile cuts. The installer (not a full-time professional tiler - yes I know, slap!) says that is the best finish he can achieve as it is a ceramic tile, and its because its a cheap tile. I can't believe that, and would like your opinions please. The tile is a conran ceramic tile. If they are right then fair dues, but if its just lack of skill and care then thats another matter.
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG

L

Lyssi

Thanks Simons70! Not the tiles fault then? Be a darling and show me what a ceramic tile cut edge should look like if we had used a professional :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Simons70! Not the tiles fault then? Be a darling and show me what a ceramic tile cut edge should look like if we had used a professional :(
No it's the fault of the employer, for not checking references and just going off somebody saying "I can do that". lol

Niches - http://www.tilersforums.com/media/categories/niches.13/

Quote a few good examples of how it should be done in this section of the gallery. But I fear they're done so well you wont actually be able to find what you're looking for. They'll all look perfect. :)

L

Lyssi

No it's the fault of the employer, for not checking references and just going off somebody saying "I can do that". lol

Quote a few good examples of how it should be done in this section of the gallery. But I fear they're done so well you wont actually be able to find what you're looking for. They'll all look perfect. :)
Thanks Dan,

To be fair, we did employ a highly recommended bathroom installer, who has excellent references. They have completed one bathroom in a porcelain tile to a really good standard, but for some reason the second bathroom with the ceramic tile hasn't worked out well at all in either the grouting or the cutting of the tiles. I want to resolve this with them fairly, which is why I have asked the question, because they are insistently and persistently telling me that you cannot get a non jagged edge on cutting a ceramic tile, whilst I can accept you might not get a perfect smooth cut, I just can't accept it should look like this.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like he cut the tile with tile nippers and not either a grinder or a wet cutting machine. That's the work of a guy with the wrong tools. Or, the work of a guy who's neither a plumber or a tiler, and just winging it.

Either way. Not the tiles fault. And I doubt a proper tiler would have looked at it when standing back and said, perfect that.

But I couldn't blame him for anything other than pretending he can do something.

I'll always blame the employer personally. But that's just me. Has to go on their head IMO.

If you pull off the dodgy tiles, get some cut properly, that fit properly, and stick them in place of the shyte ones, you'll have a nice looking external corner. Should take a few hours max. Personally, if I were you, I'd pay the guy to do it too and not just say you need to do it. Or perhaps go halves. But you've got fat chance of blaming the tiles or tile shop.

Please do post finished pics. As we rarely get to see the done article once somebody's got some advice here. They tend to just get on with life. :)

L

Lyssi

Thanks Dan,

To be fair, we did employ a highly recommended bathroom installer, who has excellent references. They have completed one bathroom in a porcelain tile to a really good standard, but for some reason the second bathroom with the ceramic tile hasn't worked out well at all in either the grouting or the cutting of the tiles. I want to resolve this with them fairly, which is why I have asked the question, because they are insistently and persistently telling me that you cannot get a non jagged edge on cutting a ceramic tile, whilst I can accept you might not get a perfect smooth cut, I just can't accept it should look like this.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Dan,

I wouldn't accept that either.

But check this out. When people come on here saying "I employed a highly recommended builder", I've given up laughing. There's no such trade as a builder. A builder is the firm that employs the trades. So a bricklayer, plasterer, plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc etc - All recognised trades by city and guilds and you can get NVQ's in all of those trades.

Bathroom fitting, like building, isn't a trade.

To have a qualified bathroom fitter, you wanted to see City and Guild certificates for Plumber (water not gas) and Tiling. And if you needed stoodwork doing, perhaps plasterer / renderer or some other trade that covers it.

So the fact you checked references for a 'bathroom fitter' in its self means you could have only seen a business card with it on, and it perhaps says it in his name.

The proof is in the pudding. He's not a tiler. That's for sure.

We can bang on all day. The solution is above. Get tiles cut properly, and they'll fit perfectly, because the trim is perfectly flat/level/plumb (hopefully). Don't leave much of a grout line, and grout between the trim and tile, but you want about 1mm really for it to look nice. Although BS5389 stipulates 2mm. I just wouldn't go with that, because you have a light tile and dark grout. Again, something a tiler wouldn't have warned you about. But a bathroom fitter knows jack about.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've replied twice to the same thing there, I thought you'd replied again. I think the forum is glitching. So apologies for getting my shirt off there lol Thought you were basically saying the same again to me. :)

O

One Day

I'll give him 8.5 out of 10 for the mitres, 4 out of 10 for the cutting.
Even poorly glazed soft ceramics can be done cleanly with the right techniques and equipment.
Why the different grout around the trim? Is this already a second go?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No excuse for the chipping, just not using good tools or good practice.
A decent wet cutter will leave nearly a factory edge on soft ceramic.
A quality continuous rim blade on a grinder will do just as good with a steady hand.
A quality score and snap cutter with a wheel suitable for ceramic should be cutting with minimal chipping.
Even if the cutting tools let you down. A diamond pad, sanding block, or even the right grit of sandpaper will tidy the edge. All it takes is patience.
We see a lot worse in here, but your paying the bill, so if your not happy take IT up with him.
The customer has to take a part of the blame, but in my Veiw, you shouldn't advertise yourself to be able to do something you can't.

Reply to Is this the best edge to expect on a cut ceramic tile? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks