Discuss Is this suitable for floor fitting in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

John Wingfield

I have attached a picture of the rear of a 450 x 450 x 9 porcelain floor tile.

The ridges on the back seem super shallow compared with all the others I have ordered.

Should I query this with the supplier?

20161211_152324844_iOS.jpg

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I read that as though you mean other tiles that are different like some wall tiles or different floor tiles for other areas you're tiling? If that's the case then it's no problem. If it's identical tiles then as above you need to check batch numbers

J

John Wingfield

Sorry, should have been more specific.
All the tiles have this backing and all have same batch codes etc.

I was comparing them today to all the other floor tiles, and all the others appear to have deeper recessions / adhesive "grip" sections on the back.

The ones in the pic just seem very shallow

F

Flintstone

There all different some are almost smooth backed and some have heavy ridges, once it's back skimmed with adhesive, it won't matter

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
The ridges on the back of tiles are to aid the manufacturing process, helps the tiles grip to conveyer belts in the factory and has nothing to do with helping us tilers out. At least that's what I was told on a factory tour. Tile adhesives are after all a chemical not a mechanical grip.

S

Spare Tool

Just fitting some porcelanosa planks and noticed one of these with a stripe down the back, just one in every box, don't look out of place when they're laid but bit strange!!

WP_20161212_12_23_12_Pro.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I assume that's the end of the mould where anothor one starts in the factory on the belts. Bet you can't find another one with a stripe on.

Reply to Is this suitable for floor fitting in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks