Discuss Is this cheap Vitrex Tile saw any good? in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wau5

Vitrex 113402NDE 450W Torque Master Tile Saw 240V - http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/vitrex-113402nde-450w-torque-master-tile-saw-240v/60888

ae235

( £35 at argos ).
Need it for about 10 ceramic tiles and about 20 travertine tiles, and that's probably all the use it will ever see.
I wasted almost a whole day trying to cut out squares for corners/joints in tiles with anglegrinder and than trying to make them even with nipper/rasp- the end result wasn't anything good so back to square 1 :(
I do not want to hire one/or buy an expensive one as I really need it just for the cuts where you need something different than a straight line-for the rest I got good manual tile cutter already.

Maybe anyone has used/tried that tile saw and can comment if it's good enough and won't crap out on the first tile? I read some reviews about screwfix own-brand tile saws where those cheap ones are just total crap and die within cutting only a couple of tiles, but didn't see much bad reviews about this vitrex one.
Just want to try to get the best of the worst in this pricepoint?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tile Shop

Not used but based on others experiences, it all depends on what you are cutting. The plasplugs, turd. Stay well clear. They are proper crap!. The Vitrex 450/QEP, not got a very powerful motors. You'll find they will only cut ceramic adequately and struggle on anything else like porcelain or stone. Hear a few good things about 750w vitrex (Vitrex Power Pro 750 Wet Saw 240v 103420 | Buy Vitrex Wet Saws Online from Pro Tiler Tools - http://www.*******************/vitrex-wet-saws/1768/vitrex-power-pro-750-wet-saw-240v-103420).

So really depends on what you are cutting and what your budget is, but the more you spend the easier and longer lasting it will be. (And avoid the Rubi ND180. still feeling bitter about that one!)

Orrrrrr...... Buy a cheap angle grinder with a good blade. For a couple of one off jobs you could get the combo for less than £40......
Heres mine:
Draper 51747 115mm Angle Grinder 230V - Toolstation - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tools/d40/Grinders/sd3149/Draper+51747+115mm+Angle+Grinder/p96949
Spectrum DX10 Turbo Diamond Blade 115 x 22.2mm - Toolstation - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p67488?table=no

You can get better blades for less, but thats what they had in stock and I needed it there and then.

W

wau5

The thing is.. I had an angle grinder already, bought a blade for it, however I realized I'm not able to make straight perfect cuts with an angle grinder for large tiles , actually I don't think I could even cut a perfectly straight 5cm line with an angle grinder ( got no angle grinder skills + Can't see anything much with a guard on )

T

Tile Shop

Heres a tip from another thread you could try:
Long cuts freehand are much easier carried out if you pull the grinder through.
As long as your work piece is clamped to your cutting table you'll be able to have much more control as opposed to pushing it through, which is the most common way of doing it.
To do this all you need to do is flip the grinder over so that the cutting wheel is on your right side.
You'll also have to spin the guard around 180 degrees.
Cutting this way has an extra couple of advantages.
Sighting your line is easier, dust and debris is pushed away from you instead of towards you.
This is the way most full time natural stone fixers cut.

Could give that a go before forking out on a new cutter...... just a thought.

B

Bill

I have and use the Vitrex one, it will cut porcelain tiles but the blade is not great - it far easier to replace the blade with porcelain specific one, which I did, I bought one from Toolstation and it works perfectly. Obviously, it won't cut forever but for the price, it is a decent little machine and if you are lucky, it should last ages.

I am a tiler not a salesman.

W

wau5

I have and use the Vitrex one, it will cut porcelain tiles but the blade is not great - it far easier to replace the blade with porcelain specific one, which I did, I bought one from Toolstation and it works perfectly. Obviously, it won't cut forever but for the price, it is a decent little machine and if you are lucky, it should last ages.

I am a tiler not a salesman.

That's cool Tom,what kind of usage do you put yours through? once in a blue moon or rather frequently?

W

wau5

Interesting..
anyway, I just went to a local shop where they had the vitrex on display but at some £50 , not really impressed with the overall feel of it. so went to toolstation accross the road and bought their QEP £30 version, seems about the same overall..
However the build quality of it seems similar to some cheap £4 tesco toaster, pretty nasty.
the case looks a bit to me like some cat litter tray :D Will try to use it tomorrow ,hopefully it will last me through the few tiles I need to cut.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
For what you want it for the cheap cutter will be good enough. Ceramics and Travertine should not be a problem. I hardly use a wet cutter these days. However I had to use one last week to cut out for an electrical socket very close to the edge of a porcelain tile.

I normally use battery angle grinder with an ATS blade. The tile is normally resting on a bucket, but for difficult cuts I try and cut on grass (less vibration).

Reaction score
I can cut a tile straighter freehand, using an angle grinder, than with a table top wet saw. Buy a few extra tiles, and practice cutting straight. With a good quality diamond blade, there will be a straight clean cut. Downside with an angle grinder is the dust. The upside is, it can be used for a lot of non-tiling work too.

O

One Day

Without being funny, why spend SO long looking at cheap tile saws? If it was 1000 pounds plus, i can understand, but surely your time is worth far more than 30 or 40 quid?!
Or am i just too impulsive when i make a purchase?!

W

wau5

Without being funny, why spend SO long looking at cheap tile saws? If it was 1000 pounds plus, i can understand, but surely your time is worth far more than 30 or 40 quid?!
Or am i just too impulsive when i make a purchase?!

probably too impulsive ;) but anyway, If I don't do research and buy the first thing that shows up, I Always regret it and have to waste even more time buying something else + all the frustration :D

Reply to Is this cheap Vitrex Tile saw any good? in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks