Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this an acceptable edge cut? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
J
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
So I guess the next question is, what is reasonable to expect to put this right?
I'm guessing it's far too heavy handed to expect it all torn out and redone at their expense. They are still expecting full payment for the tile!

But there are issues like the one highlighted around the whole room:
All cuts have been done to the standard you have seen. Windows, alcove, corners, everything.
There are several large chips off the edges of tiles that they have tried to disguise with paint.
Most tiles are not flush to those around them.
The tiles are a brick pattern, but in some places the vertical joins are as much as 9mm out of line from those below. Two tiles joining in a corner are horizontally out of line too.
Worst of all, the tile overlaps in one corner alternate from left to right up the wall!
There are holes in the grout, and some spots at the bottom have been missed entirely.
There are tool marks on several tiles.
The bottom of the alcove is level, not slightly sloped for drainage, despite us specifically asking for this, and told that is what they would do.
They also managed to put 2 deep gouges into the brand new stone resin shower tray too, which of course they claim wasn't them.

We finally had enough yesterday and asked them to leave. We just have no faith that they can finish the job without causing more damage and without getting a serious leak or something down the line.
We're now stuck with an unfinished bathroom, and I'm pretty sure we will seriously struggle to find someone willing to make good and finish for us.

Believe it or not, despite all the above, they are still sticking to their guns and claiming it is as professional a job as any other, and that it is our extreme standards that are at fault. As I said, we haven't settled the final payment yet, but I don't know whether we should only expect it discounted or simply not pay it under the circumstances. Or whether we should try to make necessary repairs to the tile, or just rip it out.

Lesson learned here though. Last time we take on a contractor based on check-a-trade reviews without checking qualifications. Not a mistake I intend to repeat. :(

D

Dumbo

So I guess the next question is, what is reasonable to expect to put this right?
I'm guessing it's far too heavy handed to expect it all torn out and redone at their expense. They are still expecting full payment for the tile!

But there are issues like the one highlighted around the whole room:
All cuts have been done to the standard you have seen. Windows, alcove, corners, everything.
There are several large chips off the edges of tiles that they have tried to disguise with paint.
Most tiles are not flush to those around them.
The tiles are a brick pattern, but in some places the vertical joins are as much as 9mm out of line from those below. Two tiles joining in a corner are horizontally out of line too.
Worst of all, the tile overlaps in one corner alternate from left to right up the wall!
There are holes in the grout, and some spots at the bottom have been missed entirely.
There are tool marks on several tiles.
The bottom of the alcove is level, not slightly sloped for drainage, despite us specifically asking for this, and told that is what they would do.
They also managed to put 2 deep gouges into the brand new stone resin shower tray too, which of course they claim wasn't them.

We finally had enough yesterday and asked them to leave. We just have no faith that they can finish the job without causing more damage and without getting a serious leak or something down the line.
We're now stuck with an unfinished bathroom, and I'm pretty sure we will seriously struggle to find someone willing to make good and finish for us.

Believe it or not, despite all the above, they are still sticking to their guns and claiming it is as professional a job as any other, and that it is our extreme standards that are at fault. As I said, we haven't settled the final payment yet, but I don't know whether we should only expect it discounted or simply not pay it under the circumstances. Or whether we should try to make necessary repairs to the tile, or just rip it out.

Lesson learned here though. Last time we take on a contractor based on check-a-trade reviews without checking qualifications. Not a mistake I intend to repeat. :(
Firstly complain to checkatrade about the standard of work . Secondly if it as bad as you say . Rip out and start again you will never make it good . If you need to go legal on this for a fee Trade tile Association for a fee send somebody in to write a professional report on this . If i saw it i wouldn't think this customer is being picky I don't want to get involved . I would have no problem in sorting something like this out but only if it was rip out and start again .
Good luck with your endeavours

O

One Day

I've just finished a job recently, working for the pickiest customer I've ever EVER come across.
At times she was beginning to wind me up with the ocd and microscopic attention to detail, but to be fair, she kept me on my toes and stretched my abilities. (as well as my patience a little!)
Believe me, based on what you have shown us you are not being unreasonable at all.

aytiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i would like to mention your asking some of the best tilers in the uk on appropriate finish, they didn't qoute, so there finish will be different along with there price. I would not be happy with this finish no one would. If you would like the best finish possible there's tilers on here that can do it for sure so you could have a look for a trusted advisor near you.
As far as lippage at the tap possibly could remove the tile and sit a new one in, its hard to gauge without inspecting to see if it's one tile high or low. The window cuts should be redone properly but can your tiler do that and if he can why not in the first place because they can be a lot better than that.
If you could have a look at some of his other work to see what it's like that should give you an idea of what you have paid for (maybe) I hope you get everything sorted like others on here will agree it's upsetting to see this workmanship.
That's a bit of an assumption, where's your proof of that?
Pedant mode: there (their) sorry pet hate

M

Matt Bott

That's a bit of an assumption, where's your proof of that?
Pedant mode: there (their) sorry pet hate
Haha really only have to look at some of the runners up of the tta awards and then look at the likes of any trusted advisor on here, it's not an assumption it's an opinion I'd love to see mosaic work better than @MissTiler if that's possible and I'd like to see mitred glass/porcelthin better than @3_fall please bring them to the table so we can all benefit I just haven't seen anything that trumps there work sorry if I idolise them p.s I'm a tiler not an English lecturer.

L

LM

@aytiling really??
Have I miss understood you?
Matt's "proof" is there for all to see and industry and forum awards are evidence to back it all up!
I'd say your in a very small minority of people who would question the ability and creditability of the craftsmanship of the fore mentioned!
If you've made a mistake with your comments now would be a good time to say so, otherwise lay your better work on the table for all to judge!

O

One Day

To be fair, unless you know someone (and most of us tile nerds have met up) and you know their work and reputation, then a few badges on a forum "could" be a bit of an assumption.

Anyway, as I like to say: "I'm not the best, but I'd definitely say I'm in the top one!" :p

M

Matt Bott

To be fair, unless you know someone (and most of us tile nerds have met up) and you know their work and reputation, then a few badges on a forum "could" be a bit of an assumption.

Anyway, as I like to say: "I'm not the best, but I'd definitely say I'm in the top one!" :p
You are the top one along with others on here to be honest meeting them never changed my opinion on there work

I

Italy

yes, even I am the number one in my neighborhood.
(They are the only tiler in the neighborhood).
For this, they are number one.
honestly speaking, I do not consider myself a great tiler.
But behind me there is a long row of tilers.
This is what I say, because in front of me,
I see very few heads :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb: ahah

O

One Day

Where's the photos impish?

If she sees this, she'll probably kill me for my comments!
Just an example, cutting the walls to slip the skirting tops underneath. It took an absolute and, and in my opinion (at first) is complete overkill.
I Have to admit though, it was worth the time and effort in the end.

20170720_164615.jpg

Reaction score
I can't be the only one that free cuts these? I don't dream of scrubbing them 1st.

Anyhow as mentioned above it isn't an acceptable finish. If the tiler had any pride in his work he wouldn't have left that finish in the 1st place.

Hope you can get it resolved, best of luck!

20170713_080318.jpg

Reply to Is this an acceptable edge cut? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock