Discuss Is my Rubi TS60 duff? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stepneysteve

Afternoon Gents, just adding more fuel to the Sigma V Rubi debate!...Im after some time served advice from the experts on here!! Im just starting out in the tiling game, Its early days and Im only doing weekends at the mo, due to having other work commitments, I have completed a few Shower rooms and Bathrooms and although slow at the moment im pleased and so have the customers been with my work.....However I am having trouble breaking tiles with my Rubi TS60, Ive tried different size wheels and my TS60 likes to bite big chunks from under the right breaker foot....leaving a nasty hole in the tile and not breaking it cleanly at all down the scoreline??.....Any clues guys, do I need to replace the breaker?....or complete cutter?...My TS40 is a little dream to work with, but every job Ive needed the bigger cutter, and to be honest im concerned everytime I try and use it its 50/50 if it breaks cleanly...Any help/ guidance greatly received, Im tempted by a Sigma as I like the fact of the sprung bed!!

B

Bill

A new breaker for the TS 60 is about £30 - why not try that first.

One of the CTD showrooms was doing a Rubi maintenance day today... can't remember where but you should look out for one near you is poss.

By all means spend another £300 on a cutter but try a new breaker first.

S

Stepneysteve

Tom, thanks for your reply mate!! I did think about trying a new breaker, I think I can upgrade the ts60 to a ts60+ breaker as well, so might give that a go!

L

LM

Hi @Stepneysteve if your serious about making tiling your profession then invest in a Sigma, you won't regret it. If however you intend to keep it as a part time endeavour then perhaps that outlay would be a stretch too far. On tiles smaller than 600x600 a Rubi should be fine with most tiles however on tiles of that size and bigger there is no comparison on performance.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've got my old faithful ts60, although it's starting to be a bit bit like triggers broom now. Your problem will probably be that something on the breaker is causing it to come down uneven, this is usually either a) some of the 4 bolts holding it on have come lose or b) the clip that holds bar for the breaker foot has come off and the bar is not running through the breaker (a problem I have once again atm) if it is neither of these, then a good clean and replace breaker should do the job mate. The ts60 is a good cutter I use it for most of my ceramic. It's no good for porc tho. I've always had Rubi but am about to embark on a sigma switch over

S

Stepneysteve

Hi @Stepneysteve if your serious about making tiling your profession then invest in a Sigma, you won't regret it. If however you intend to keep it as a part time endeavour then perhaps that outlay would be a stretch too far. On tiles smaller than 600x600 a Rubi should be fine with most tiles however on tiles of that size and bigger there is no comparison on performance.
Morning Lee, No mate Im gonna be taking Tiling seriously, getting made redundant in 12 months, so just getting out there and up to speed before trying to make a living!!.....Im so tempted by a Sigma! Thanks for your help mate!

S

Stepneysteve

I've got my old faithful ts60, although it's starting to be a bit bit like triggers broom now. Your problem will probably be that something on the breaker is causing it to come down uneven, this is usually either a) some of the 4 bolts holding it on have come lose or b) the clip that holds bar for the breaker foot has come off and the bar is not running through the breaker (a problem I have once again atm) if it is neither of these, then a good clean and replace breaker should do the job mate. The ts60 is a good cutter I use it for most of my ceramic. It's no good for porc tho. I've always had Rubi but am about to embark on a sigma switch over
Thanks for the reply TT, I have checked it all over and all appears well, but Ive had the Sigma worm implanted in my head and I cannot trust the TS60 I have to break cleanly!!......Once again cheers for the advice!

S

Spare Tool

Morning Lee, No mate Im gonna be taking Tiling seriously, getting made redundant in 12 months, so just getting out there and up to speed before trying to make a living!!.....Im so tempted by a Sigma! Thanks for your help mate!
Bite the bullet and get a sigma, keep the rubi for ceramics though, my only two cutters are a 720 sigma and a ts50+, those and a couple of decent angle grinder blades and you can tackle almost anything..

S

Spare Tool

Don't forget you also have a sigma 128 and a montilot Brooklyn wet saw :laughing:
Hahaha I knew the minute i posted that, you'd have something to say :)
Ok so you need a 720 Sig, a small Rubi and a friend like Craig to borrow off ;)

S

Stepneysteve

Bite the bullet and get a sigma, keep the rubi for ceramics though, my only two cutters are a 720 sigma and a ts50+, those and a couple of decent angle grinder blades and you can tackle almost anything..
Hi Andy, Ive bitten the bullet ....Just bought Sigma 3B4M from Protiler!!. Now I'll find out what all the fuss is about, hoping it lives upto the positive comments!!!! Av a great weekend mate!

S

Spare Tool

Hi Andy, Ive bitten the bullet ....Just bought Sigma 3B4M from Protiler!!. Now I'll find out what all the fuss is about, hoping it lives upto the positive comments!!!! Av a great weekend mate!
Smart move, you won't believe how much easier cutting tiles will be from now on :)

Reply to Is my Rubi TS60 duff? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks