Discuss Is Ditra an overkill on concrete with ceramic tiles? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AndY mac

Hi Dave. Check for deflection if really bad walk away there are some horrors of floaters up here. If you must do it the way I did one a while back was 10 mm marmox glued and screwed heated then screeded then ditra tiled with a decent 2 part. I was back at this property to do there bathrooms and all was good but it's a gamble. I only did it after stressing if ther was a failure I would not be held responsible. The garuntee only lasted till I walked down there path and into the van.

S

Stef

I

m

I'm confused now. Architect definitely said the joists were 200mm apart. Is a suspended floor the same as floating floor? This pricing malarky is harder than I expected haha.
I looked again & noticed that you said the joists were 200mm apart, strange make up even if it's a suspended floor, normally 400mm apart even if they are trying to strengthen the floor knowing its to get tiled.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Pull a bit of carpet back and look for fixings if there are none then it's a floating floor which is just chipboard over insulation (kingspan)....not screwed or nailed down to joist..

bigdave1903

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Pull a bit of carpet back and look for fixings if there are none then it's a floating floor which is just chipboard over insulation (kingspan)....not screwed or nailed down to joist..
It's a new conservatory so its just chipboard down. There were plenty screws in the chipboard. Thought I was going to have to get nanolight adhesive to stick to all that metal haha

S

Stef

It's a new conservatory so its just chipboard down. There were plenty screws in the chipboard. Thought I was going to have to get nanolight adhesive to stick to all that metal haha
I would go back to the architect & ask him again what exactly the floor make up is before I went any further.
It sounds like a suspended floor but those joists are very close together.
Better news for you as at those centres it should be rock solid.

bigdave1903

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would go back to the architect & ask him again what exactly the floor make up is before I went any further.
It sounds like a suspended floor but those joists are very close together.
Better news for you as at those centres it should be rock solid.
Perfect thanks. Will do.

Reply to Is Ditra an overkill on concrete with ceramic tiles? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks