Discuss Is an edging strip necessary? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sefirah

Hi all, really hope someone can help me! I'm having my bathroom done soon. However, I really don't like tile edging strips, chrome, or plastic. I'd really like to know whether it is possible on my tiles to not use a trim, I think it looks more contemporary and cleaner.
There is a window reveal, niche and long shelf to be done.
The tiles are an ivory coloured rectified porcelain 300 x 600 tile, I have attached a photo of the edge of it. thank-you!

IMG_8846.JPG

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you don't fancy trim, you could try painting the edge to suit, maybe unconventional I know, however, worth considering.

S

Sefirah

Thank-you, I'm not sure, I really know nothing about tiles! just want to know my options so I can tell my fitter what I want.
And if I really had to use trim, which one is best and long-lasting for bathroom use? Brushed steel, aluminium, chrome?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Either or much the same really, personal choice. Can also get flat metal edging strips from the likes of B&Q, usually self adhesive, in gold, silver etc. And plastic also. Lots of options, just down to personal preference.

S

Sefirah

Personal preference - I just don't like tiling strips! So they are necessary, is that correct? I'm sure I've seen photos where they are not used..

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Aye if your tiler is skilled enough , ask him to miter tiles, rather than use trim . ( may cost more, rather dependant on your preference).

S

Sefirah

Thank- you.. So it's possible with my tile edge as in the photo? Using mitre joints you don't see the tile edge is that right?
Does it have disadvantages - like is it harder to keep clean, or will it look messy?!

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thank- you.. So it's possible with my tile edge as in the photo? Using mitre joints you don't see the tile edge is that right?
Does it have disadvantages - like is it harder to keep clean, or will it look messy?!
You will just see a grout line. This done correctly is by far your best option. definately not messy nor harder to clean. Quality finish. Well worth paying the extra, for this type of finish, in my opinion.

S

Sefirah

Ah thank-you that's what I wanted to know!
I'm no expert in tiles but I think that would look the best... now how to delicately ask if the tiler will be able to do it well?!
Is that why people don't do it more, because it's easier to use tiling strip?

O

One Day

I'm no expert in tiles but I think that would look the best... now how to delicately ask if the tiler will be able to do it well?!

Mitreing porcelain is not an easy skill. In many ways it's far harder than mitreing stone. It takes a lot of time and practise to get it right.
You want to see real evidence that they have and can carry it out well.
Expect to pay not only for the additional time, but also the experience and skill of the person doing it.- in other words; the skill comes with a premium (from me it does at least!)
It will look fantastic if it's done well. If not so well - it'll look rubbish.

And yes - it is far easier to use an edge trim!

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Definitely easier with trim. More skill and time required for mitering tiles.

O

One Day

There are some very nice edge trims though. Not everything has to be polished chrome or brushed steel effect. Have a look on Schluter and Genesis

Many shapes, colours and textures are available.

Reply to Is an edging strip necessary? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks