Discuss Installing electric underfloor heating - Step by Step Guide in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DHTiling

Just click the link back tab above and you can tweet direct from the thread.

Tilers forums doesn't have a tweet account , unless Dan has set one up..

J

jmc1234

Re: Fitting electric underfloor heating.

Nice one Bri,

I am just about to lay insulation boards prior to UFH. Unlike yours mine have come without instructions so curious whether I should butt joint or leave expansion gaps. Most info on web suggess that you leave expansion gaps and fill with Flexi ady.

What do the experts think?

Thanks in advance

I

Ian

If in doubt, leave a 2mm expansion joint. May be worth contacting the manufacturer or supplier to see what they recommend.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

D

Dockers Tiling

Cheers for guide Bri. Needed a refresher for a job coming up. Good to be re-assured that what I was going to do was right with the addition of S.L.C.

Reaction score
Good thread, Ive only ever used the boards once & that was 4 years ago now! Very useful info and has certainly refreshed my memory, cheers Bri.

L

Living Heat Ltd

Great post this sort of information is massively helpful to beginners and even experts as it clearly outlines the correct method. You would not believe the stories we could tell of what some people try and do when laying ufh.
The only information I would add is how to test the mat prior to laying it.
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Never connect the mat or cable to the mains power when rolled up as the heat in the middle of the role has nowhere to go and the cable will simply over heat very quickly.
You mention testing it during instillation and the watchdog that the mat you fitted came with but what if this is not supplied. Having a cheap multi meter £5-10 ish we have found is the best way to test mats. You can do a simple continuity test, resistance reading and insulation test all of which can be very useful readings and very easily obtained with this devise. The better units also have a watchdog type facility which will sound should you damage the mat during instillation / tiling. The reading you can get from these devises can be very useful especially if you ever have problems later down the road.
I hope this adds something useful.
[FONT=&amp]Andrew Knight.[/FONT]

C

Ceramico tiling

Cool post..Why do you need to apply the self levelling over the tile adhesive screed?

Q

Qwerty

Cool post..Why do you need to apply the self levelling over the tile adhesive screed?

Apart from making a level surface to tile onto, it also protects the cable when troweling the adhesive as well as fully encapsulating it to ensure no air pockets and an even transference of heat to the tiled surface.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
As above.

I happened to of quoted for a UFH install last week and was asked the same question about the SLC. Another thing I mention is if you ever have to break out and replace a broken tile. Less risk of damaging the wire if it's in SLC and not burried in the adhesive.

pgc555

TF
Reaction score
Was wondering why you don't just pour over the mats in one pour instead of thin set first? Seems to cut out one more steep and the tape on the Warmup mats will hold very well to the primed surface of the boards.

I

Ian

Was wondering why you don't just pour over the mats in one pour instead of thin set first? Seems to cut out one more steep and the tape on the Warmup mats will hold very well to the primed surface of the boards.

I find there's always a bit of cable that floats. I've tried both ways and putting a layer of adhesive down before SLC gives a better finish and also takes away the risk of snagging a cable when SLCing.

Reply to Installing electric underfloor heating - Step by Step Guide in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks