Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Independent advice sought - is this a good tiling job? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

Pleasehelp

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

I'm currently having my ensuite bathroom redone.

Tilers were in a day or two ago - I am unhappy with the work done. The problems I see are:

It looks untidy
The https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is visible behind the tiles
The https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ appears to be too thick
The edging pieces not meet up at corners
The edges of edging pieces are sharp/rough
The tile at the right hand side of the counter is leaning forwards slightly - the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is thicker at top than at bottom so it tilts (hard to get a good pic but I have used a spirit level on it to confirm)
There is a gap between the tiles/wall/my counter - has the counter been made too short? Is there a way to sort this (or should I be requesting a new counter?)

I realise these are a lot of complaints - hence asking for independent opinions.

Many thanks in advance for your help. I find it so difficult to raise issues so it would be very helpful to know whether I am in the right or wrong here.

If it is a bad job - what should/can I do about it?
20170224_063254.jpg
20170224_063244.jpg
20170224_063155.jpg
20170224_063204.jpg
20170224_063214.jpg
20170224_063218.jpg

OP
W

WetSaw

I think you know the answer to your question but I concur, it is poor.
Difficult to say without seeing the rest of the room but the tile around the counter wants redoing then you could bring the trim to the bottom of the counter to cover the gap. Not the sort of trim I would have used in this situation.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

The corners and joins of the trim could have been better. I don't like the cut to the counter top - it may have been able to set up the horizontal tile differently . The cut around the window cill is good
and the 2 tiles on view in the shower look ok! As you haven't posted any others I assume the rest is satisfactory and in which case you are being right to want this counter area improved. This area can be taken off without too much issue and redone.

OP
P

Pleasehelp

Thanks - yes the shower and floor look fine which is why it is baffling that the counter is so bad.

The plumber who subcontracts the plumbers (who is in turn subcontracted by the bathroom showroom) is now here and has admitted it is terrible. Apparently the way it has been tiled down one side means the door furniture won't go on now either.

Re the gap between the counter and the wall - how should this be fixed? It is neostone or something similar so was precut when it arrived. Has it been measured incorrectly? I'm concerned it may be unsupported if it is not meeting the wall.

I don't know what you mean by "I don't like the cut to the counter top - it may have been able to set up the horizontal tile differently ." Do you mean that the arrangement of the tiles could be better? I thought so too - they could line up with the units beneath for example as I think they are the same width, i.e. 600mm.

OP
W

WetSaw

Clearly if the door won't fit they'll have to take it off and start again.
I prefer to use a trim with corner pieces when you have external corners, no sharp edges.
If the setting out of tiles would have allowed moving them down would mean you wouldn't have the thin strip.

OP
P

Pleasehelp

Thank you all for your opinions. It is currently being stripped and will (hopefully) be rectified by a different tiler next week.

They had to strip the shower wall too as apparently it wasn't right either (something I didn't pick up on)

The plumber says he can't explain why they did such a bad job as usually they do it great.

So now I am paranoid! :)

OP
F

Flintstone

It doesn't look great does it, it looks to me like the walls might not have been great to start with. His trim work is the worst part of it

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Paranoid!
The bathroom co. seem to be in control so at this stage you have no worries. Just ask your concerns and they will make sure it's right by the sounds of it!

OP
P

Pleasehelp

I think the walls were okay to be honest - the house is only 12 years old so fairly new.
I had arranged with the bathroom company for them to strip existing tiles and for plasterboard on the walls to be replaced where needed. They replaced the bit behind the toilet but left the bit behind the sink. I'm assuming it they were very problematic they would have replaced them.

A new tiler is coming on Monday so hopefully they will do a far better job.

Thank you everyone for your input - it has been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Reply to Independent advice sought - is this a good tiling job? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock