Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss I'm selling a reason to sell on the forum in the For-sale and Wanted area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've come up with an idea. This new selling system that gives an optional percentage of the sale to the forum would perhaps be better off going to a charity. And not towards the running costs of the forum.

The thinking behind it is if we vote every few months and change the charity every few months, it could encourage us all to cheaply sell stuff we don't need to others, while doing so giving something to what we have collectively voted as being a worthy cause.

The % could be set from anything between zero and 50 percent perhaps. The seller initiates the % when posting the item for sale. So it is still all optional you can totally sell something for whatever value and keep the total value. As before.

We now have a feedback / rating system too so we can all leave buyer and seller feedback.

What do you guys think? Let me know your thoughts.

If you're up for this, perhaps reply with some charities close to your heart and we can see which ones pop up a few times and I'll make a poll. Rather than having a winner per se we will simply change from the most voted to the least every 2 or 3 months or something.

Could really help out members and do some good at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Some factors to consider when choosing a charity is how many pennies in the pound goes to the actual cause and not just the running of the charity (some are better than others at reaching their end goal I'd have thought).

And perhaps how much a charity already gets. I know seasonal campaigns like Comic Relief etc might be the way we away around their times. But maybe consider smaller local charities every now and again along with the large ones.

I've lost a fair bit of family to cancer to cancer research and hospices spring to my mind straight away but then I know they do get well funded perhaps compared to homeless charities around winter when food and clothing and shelter is needed for those on the streets.

So maybe we come up with a kind of calendar so we all know well in advance which charities we will be giving to so we know when to list and buy things that are sitting in the shed and have been for ages.

Doesn't always have to be tools etc too. We could make this a really cool community project if we did it well. And if it works here I'll spread it across the network and have RSS feeds from the other for sale sections on the other sites feeding here and visa versa. Can really have a good reach in the UK generally.

How's that for thinking outside the box? Lol

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd like to put forward, time to change, its a project about ending the stimga around mental health issues, something close to my heart as a long term sufferer of mental health issues I have seen first hand the stimga and misconceptions around it and the damage this can do

F

Flintstone

I thought the donate to the forum from selling things that you have bought with your hard earned was a bit cheeky, but I can see if people are into giving there money to charity they might go for it. I don't imagine people will sell stuff off cheap tho!

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to put forward, time to change, its a project about ending the stimga around mental health issues, something close to my heart as a long term sufferer of mental health issues I have seen first hand the stimga and misconceptions around it and the damage this can do

Okay so perhaps save the cold months for the outside projects, and then March and April for Red Nose Day. Assuming we can carry on donating after their big push.

Shall we put that in for May and June?

So a proposed start could be something like....

Jan - help OAP's with heating bills?
Feb - help OAPs with heating
March - Red Nose Day
April - Red Nose Day
May - Time to Change
June - Time to Change
July - a cancer charity?
Aug - a cancer charity?
Sept - a heart charity?
Oct - a heart charity?
Nov - an outside / homeless project ?
Dec - an outside / homeless project ?

Last edited:

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I thought the donate to the forum from selling things that you have bought with your hard earned was a bit cheeky, but I can see if people are into giving there money to charity they might go for it. I don't imagine people will sell stuff off cheap tho!

Second hand is cheap compared to brand new

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It was always optional and to be fair a lot of people make a lot of cash out of my forums. I've had plenty of direct offers for donations and always said just buy from sponsors instead.

But this setup helps the members AND something else. Win win is always better IMO.

But yeah. This kinda thing could work better. You'd be surprised how much we have had given away for free on the forum before now. People do appreciate the forum being here even if you always don't lol

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just thinking about free stuff. Remember that guy who used to register and get everything for free and then we would see them on eBay the next week?!? Grrrr. Took a few times banning him before he packed it in! Think he had @Bri off with a cutter once was it?

O

Old Mod

Well you won't be obviously Andy! Hahaha :p
Well, you did walk straight in to mate eh! :)

O

Old Mod

I like the winter help the aged with heating bills idea and the homeless ones too.
And the smaller mental health charities.
Too many of the big boys appear to spend waaaaay too much on running it rather than distributing it! Which is so sad.

Reply to I'm selling a reason to sell on the forum in the For-sale and Wanted area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock