Discuss huge quote... any ideas? cos i've none....... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

NKtile

:huh2: hi fellas,

Would be interested in hearing any suggested quotes, for laying of 3500sqm of terrazzo tiles?(i know, its abit of a monster....scares me a little!:ninja: )

Also anyone got any good suppliers, they loooking for tiles supplied if possible. they not too fussy, but have to been good and hard wearing... for airport...

To be honest always get lost and confused once quote goes over a certain size, not as simple i dont think as just multiplying up.... plus always wanna get it spot on as obviously got the worries of paying other lads wages etc out of it.... any ideas? Cheers:cheers2: :cheers2:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sibs

Would be interested in hearing any suggested quotes, for laying of 3500sqm of terrazzo tiles?(i know, its abit of a monster....scares me a little!:ninja: )

Also anyone got any good suppliers, they loooking for tiles supplied if possible. they not too fussy, but have to been good and hard wearing... for airport...

To be honest always get lost and confused once quote goes over a certain size, not as simple i dont think as just multiplying up.... plus always wanna get it spot on as obviously got the worries of paying other lads wages etc out of it.... any ideas? Cheers:cheers2: :cheers2:

Jesus which airport is that? Ok gonna stick me neck on the line and have a half educated stab..... £200k or there abouts all in .... its a vast area and this is in no way an expert opinion but basically I did it at £50 pm2 then rounded it up cos I have no idea how much mats are gonna cost but figured this would go a good way towards the cost. There must be quite a lot of overheads for this job with wages etc and all the expansion joints you gotta think about etc. Good luck with it.
Be good to know what the more experienced would make of my quote :lol:

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
How much experience do you have laying terrazzo?

I have quite a bit as i used to do tesco store's and i would'nt touch it with a barge pole,for one the machinery needed to do said job is expensive even to hire and to earn enough per day will take at least a team of 3/4 men laying a minimum of a hundred metere's per day between them,the last time a spoke to a terrazzo layer they were lucky to be getting over seven pound a metre for big area's and they alway's had bad back's ,me personally would rather stick to anything rather than laying in sand and cement ,but just my opinion.

As for price well if i was you i would be on the phone to q flooring for a quote on the terrazzo tile's then on the phone to see how much your screed would cost each day ,then the price of the cement and colour for grouting and also the machinery for grinding and polishing and lastly make sure you have a good set of lads who know the job,wouldnt speculate a price until you had all these factor's in place.:thumbsup:

S

sibs

How much experience do you have laying terrazzo?

I have quite a bit as i used to do tesco store's and i would'nt touch it with a barge pole,for one the machinery needed to do said job is expensive even to hire and to earn enough per day will take at least a team of 3/4 men laying a minimum of a hundred metere's per day between them,the last time a spoke to a terrazzo layer they were lucky to be getting over seven pound a metre for big area's and they alway's had bad back's ,me personally would rather stick to anything rather than laying in sand and cement ,but just my opinion.

As for price well if i was you i would be on the phone to q flooring for a quote on the terrazzo tile's then on the phone to see how much your screed would cost each day ,then the price of the cement and colour for grouting and also the machinery for grinding and polishing and lastly make sure you have a good set of lads who know the job,wouldnt speculate a price until you had all these factor's in place.:thumbsup:

So - take no notice of what I said cos I really don't know what is involved do I :lol:
That much is obvious :lol:
Maybe tilinglogistics can help.... seems more his area of expertise

T

TilingLogistics

This is not something I would advise you take on unless you have laid it before. Terrazzo is normally fixed in position as normal using a dry ish mix of sand and cement and then flood grouted. Left for up to a week and then ground to remove the lippage and polished in situ to achieve the perfect monolithic floor. It also requires sealing.
As for price I have no idea until I see the area and the size of the tiles! I know one thing I would struggle with an installation that size to grind and polish it and I would have to purchase at least one more 3 phase grinder to cope.

But one thing is for certain someone said on here £7 a metre. That IMO is laughable I worked on a terrazzo floor grinding and polishing in Italy and I know for a fact the fixers were getting €19 a metre and that did not include the grinding and polishing that the company did I was working for:lol:

Kev

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
But one thing is for certain someone said on here £7 a metre. That IMO is laughable I worked on a terrazzo floor grinding and polishing in Italy and I know for a fact the fixers were getting €19 a metre and that did not include the grinding and polishing that the company did I was working for:lol:

Your right it does'nt sound much but we are not in italy and i am just going on what i was told,when i was doing it about ten years ago the money was more but nowhere like the £15.50(19 euros) your talking about,and also i never mentioned nything about the grinding and polishing also ,like i said it was just what i was told ,so not sure if that covered the grinding and polishing.

T

TilingLogistics

Your right it does'nt sound much but we are not in italy and i am just going on what i was told,when i was doing it about ten years ago the money was more but nowhere like the £15.50(19 euros) your talking about,and also i never mentioned nything about the grinding and polishing also ,like i said it was just what i was told ,so not sure if that covered the grinding and polishing.

Mz,

It wasn't anything personal against you! I just thought that it would be more expensive than Italy here! I cannot even begin to think what the cost of the grinding and polishing would be without doing a test but i would imagine at a rough guess there would be no change out of £120K. I will try and check with a few colleagues and report back:thumbsup:

Kev
----
Just caught someone I know and he said ball park figure £280-£320,000 Supply, Fix, Grind, Polish and seal. Depending on finish. So it gives you some idea.:thumbsup:

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dirrty

One of the things that attracted me to tiling was the relative lack of risk ( one of my businesses went bust leaving me bankrupt, so lack of risk appeals to me lol ). By lack of risk I mean in general with tiling, there is no stock to carry, no large upfront payments to suppliers, no waiting for your money, no real staff overheads etc etc. With the job you are describing it sounds like all of these are going to come into play. If something goes wrong with this job and they withhold payment, you will still have to pay for materials purchased, labour costs etc. So how long could you wait for payment? I don't want to put a damp squib on this but I think you should feel nervous. If this job goes right you could make a nice few quid......but if it goes wrong, it could wipe you out. Obviously someone will end up taking the job if you don't, but do you really want to take the chance? I had 3 succesful businesses and one failed business.......guess which one I remember most lol.

If you do take it on I hope I am completely wrong, and sincerely hope you make a nice few quid :yes:

L

LM Ceramics

thats one big job you got there to be honest never laid terrazo i would have thought a job like that would be carried out a large tiling firm my old boss who i sereved my apprenticeship with when he was an apprentice his firm tiled arndale in manchester and they had nearly 30 tilers on that job he told me he wouldnt touch terrazo work

how many of you are doing the job mz?

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
how many of you are doing the job mz?

Not my job Lm its NKtile's

Mz,

It wasn't anything personal against you!

I know,no offence taken:grin: .I was surprised myself when i was told that price the only thing i can think of is that the lads subcontract on all the tesco stores and have thousand of m2 to go at hence the price,to be honest the day's of be doing anything that strenuous are long gone ,with the exception of the occasional marble/granite job ,i'd rather stick to ceramics less work and less strain on the back and knees.

J

JOHNNYCLARKE

dont touch it unless you are experienced terrazzo layer.
I am not of those but am experienced enough in other fields of stonework to know that you should stick to what you know.
This is like a different trade .

Johnny

N

NKtile

thanks a lot guys, appreciate everyones replies...

have experience in that field, just not to that degree..

see? thats why i love this forum...everyone worries as much as i do !!! maybe even more!! and thats sayin somethin !!:joker: anyways we'll see whats happens with the quote.....wahey!!

Reply to huge quote... any ideas? cos i've none....... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks