Discuss How to work with wall bumps in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Had a plaster in to do the entire bathroom. Just waiting for it to dry. I haven't inspected it too much yet but i have noticed the odd bump here and there and am wondering how i can deal with them. Should i try sand then down?if i sand too much ill remove the skim and start exposing the bonding.

Also as u get to the floor the plaster seems to flare out a bit.

Im gona be using 200x100 metro tiles.

Any tips?

O

Old Mod

If you haven't yet inspected it properly yet, and already you have noticed areas you're not happy with, it won't improve, it'll get more disappointing.
The smaller the tile, and they are small, the more the tiled wall will reflect the surface beneath.
It'll follow the contours of your plastered wall.
If over 2 metres the flatness of the wall varies by by more than +/- 3mm it's not considered suitable to tile anyway.
Why should you or a tiler be expected to make good something that should have been done correctly in the first place.
It's the plasterer who should be correcting this, no one else.
This may not seem helpful info, but it is the truth,
and as a finishing trade we face this problem frequently.
If you want the best possible outcome and finish to your room, it would be unfair to expect a tiler to correct his mistakes, and it'll probably cost you more too.
Whereas the plasterer should correct this free of charge.

Reaction score
I'm tiling it myself, so not extra cost, if its really bad all over which I don't think it is then i would call them back, but dont really want to get them back for the odd bump here and there if I can fix myself.

I'll post some pics later.

F

Flintstone

It's a classic case of having a plasterer in to 'skim'. They just think there job is to re surface with a skim of plaster to make the walls appear all nice and new.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You can scrape back to the bonding ,that won't matter ... But why should you.. You have paid a plasterer to get it prepared for tiling .. Which if he hasn't .. then he should rectify... Especially the "Flared Bottom"......(love a flared bottom)!!!lol:p

Reaction score
flaring out at the bottom is a bit of a common plasterers habit.

Just get a bladed scraper and scrape it down a bit.

No doubt the beading round the windows will hump out a bit too!

Reply to How to work with wall bumps in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks