Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How to deal with uneven walls in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
How do you deal with uneven walls, ive packed out walls with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ but the tiles look wonky, i dont have any plastering skill but im going to do a intensive plastering course after xmas

What products are there to get stright walls

OP
B

brian c

what is the substrate you are tile to?were there tiles on the wall before hand and you never got all the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ off,need to know more info.

OP
F

falkirktiler

I went along to Glasgow (30 miles) on Saturday morning to tile my wifes bosses bathroom, only to find the the wall (plasterboard), had a big belly in the middle resulting in a variation of over 50 mm in total and he was surprised to learn that I couldn't / wouldn't tile on it. The explanation was that my job was the one that everyone who saw it would judge and so judge me to be a crap tiler and I wasn't prepared to have a reputation like that just because he was my wifes boss.

How can I fix it then?, was the question

You'll have to get a plasterer in to even up the wall, was the answer

Can't you do it ?

No , I,m a tiler, you need a plasterer

but make sure the plasterer knows the problem, and does actually sort out the wall, and doesn't just through a skim over the wall, take the money and run while not actually fixing it!!, I told him

Thanks for that mate he says , thanks for being honest and not ripping me off!!

CHUFFED:yes:

OP
T

tiler tom

Falkirktiler I did a job some time ago and was told by the customer just what the plasterer had said prior to me having to tile. Quote " thats good enough for a tiler" wall dipped 20mm over a metre level wasn't best pleased when he had a call back to sort it.

OP
T

tysfoot

Well the job im doing had old ahsive on the walls, but for other jobs most walls are old , what do you do with uneven old walls

Im thinking of doing a course in plastering, do you think this is wise

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

brian c

comb walls then back butter tiles accordingly.If they are really bad holes etc you can build out wall in layers using rapidset https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ which will set in 3hrs which will then allow you to use your tub stuff after priming,make sure you smoothe the rapidset otherwise you are giving yourself more hassle.

OP
T

tysfoot

is rapidset just like plaster, do you smooth it on with a trowel.

How often do you come acroos walls that are really bad

OP
B

brian c

every job is different but its not an uncommon complaint from a tiler that the walls are off.Rapidset is https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ which comes in powder form and is cement based so you need to work quick with it and also mix it in small batches as it goes off(forms a skin)pretty quickly 15-20 mins working time.

OP
G

grumpygrouter

Ardex AM100 is designed for exactly that sort of thing. Pricey Though!

Grumpy

Attachments

• ARDEX%20AM100.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 82
OP
C

charlie1

plaster walls with rapid set (all the low points) then use your 1800 feather edge from the bottom of the wall and pull it horazontally up the wall, this will shave off all the high points of f your rapid set. It doesnt need to be perfect as long as it is reanonably straight.

I've done a job about 4 months ago and i have saved the pics in members photo section (saved under woody 1) long story.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the threads in the tiling forum that have had a lot of views are being bumped up into current discussion. Just walk on by if it's not your flavour right now. Perhaps it'll help somebody out one day, and they become members, and then they post a thread, and professional tilers respond, and then you learn something from them...? Maybe?

Reply to How to deal with uneven walls in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock