Discuss How do I make black limestone hearth grey? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Lisa

Hi

We have just had a new fire in with black limestone hearth but I wanted it to be grey like the one I saw in the guys warehouse. I'm guessing this was weathered but how can I get the same effect with my indoor hearth? I was light grey if possible. Unpolished. Raw. Rustic

Thanks

L

Lisa

I liked it better this colour as it was going in only not dirty

IMG_3963.JPG

Q

Qwerty

That hearth looks like painted or over sealed slate to me (may just be the photo).
Any better photos?

Q

Qwerty

Sorry, you posted the second pic whilst I was typing!!!!! It looks more like limestone in that pic. How was it cleaned & sealed?

L

Lisa

Then he washed it with baby wipes. I thought because it wasn't oiled etc, it would go grey when dry but it's jet black :(

IMG_3964.JPG

L

Lisa

Sorry, you posted the second pic whilst I was typing!!!!! It looks more like limestone in that pic. How was it cleaned & sealed?

Thanks. It's limestone. We asked for it unoiled so I don't think it has anything on it to seal it. We wanted it really bare and raw and not 'finished' with sealers etc. Wanted it grey in contrast to the jet black fire

Q

Qwerty

Baby wipes!!?? They can have oils in them. It certainly looks heavily sealed to me.
If you can't readily find out if & what it was sealed with then I would look to clean it thoroughly with something like Lithofin Power Clean or LTP Grimex. Let it dry fully and then lightly seal with something like LOT Mattstone or Lithofin Stain Stop.

As @3_fall says, @Lithofin BOB is the man!

O

Old Mod

I know deterdek is an acid, my thinking was that maybe it'd make 'bloom' and leave it white and patchy and a bit wrecked haha
But I'm just guessing. Never had to mess up stone before. :p

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above , a diluted acidic product will grey/ poss whiten as it burn into the calcium based stone
Deterdek is a buffered acid so could be a possibility , ;)
Do you have offcuts to play with and you could test dilution rate say 1-10 to start , then increase for a more distressed look , could be patchy.
If you had off cuts , test diluted vinegar, lemon used to distress match with that even. Rinse well
Note .you won't get an even grey all over with any of above

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Lisa , looking again .is that finished pic with the fire in it yours , as plan, it does look sealed , if so you can just strip it out

L

Lisa

Lisa , looking again .is that finished pic with the fire in it yours , as plan, it does look sealed , if so you can just strip it out

Hi

Yes all the pics are mine as it was being done. The top one is how it looks now. They just cleaned it up with baby wipes. How do I strip it out?

Thanks

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If there is an oil in there ,A natural stone stripper, 1 litre- if you have a local tile shop they will have one for you , us - fila - ltp all suitable

When you pore water onto the surface , does it bead? Or does it sink in

L

Lisa

If there is an oil in there ,A natural stone stripper, 1 litre- if you have a local tile shop they will have one for you , us - fila - ltp all suitable

When you pore water onto the surface , does it bead? Or does it sink in

I haven't tried. I'll give it a go

L

Lisa

It's not sinking in I don't think? Not sure if it would be instant? Attached a pic and a closer pic of the limestone

IMG_3991.JPG IMG_3993.JPG

Reply to How do I make black limestone hearth grey? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks