Discuss How do I get seamless tiling through doorways? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Saffron

Hi,
Please can you me advise me on tiling through doorways. I am tiling throughout my flat and want a seamless transition from room to room. However I have been told that doing U-shape cuts around door frames can lead to the tiles cracking later on. Is this correct?
Also I want the hallway symmetrical and the tiling to lead on through the bedroom and lounge from the hall. (Lounge and bedroom doorways both along one side of the hall way). Would it be a good idea to start in the hallway?
Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Thank you.

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Saffron.

If there is something in particular you want aesthetically, then that's where your set out point should be.
You don't necessarily have to start there, but you need to set your floor from there.
Sometimes you have to compromise with setting out, you won't always have a favourable outcome if you're hard and fast with set out points, however, sometimes it works a dream.
If you need more advice on your particular situation, then you would need to upload a detailed floor plan with all the relevant dimensions and tile sizes, then maybe someone will be able to advise further.

Having seamless tiling through doorways is totally possible, but you should incorporate an expansion joint through all doorways, generally under the door line.
Most rooms differ in temperature, this causes different rates of expansion and contraction throughout your floor areas, it's generally this that causes tiles in doorways to crack.
Of course bad installation won't help either.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always try and have a join in the doorways.......obviously this depends on the working out......but it would be where I would look first....

Reply to How do I get seamless tiling through doorways? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks