Discuss How do I drill a SQUARE hole into tile to install an electrical socket in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 1779

Re: How do I drill a SQUARE hole into tile to install an electrical so

I did see that Youtube.

And yes Oli yes I think maybe thats the one Doug meant.

However.... A word of caution!

The bit can ONLY be used with soft wet tiles:

===================================================================================
This is thier website warning:

PLEASE NOTE: Suited for working all tiles which are able to absorb water for cooling.

Hard material such as stoneware* , marble or granite can not be worked. (*Porcelain tiles)

===================================================================================

(Our comments are in red)

398080_10151173556322014_570621830_n.jpg

S

stephenoneill

USING YOUR RUBI:smilewinkgrin: SCORE THE SQUARE FIRST THEN CUT FROM BEHIND AND TAP OUT THE BITS .THIS WAY THE CUT ON THE SURFACE IS VERY CLEAN AND PROFFESSIONAL LOOKING AS OPPOSED TO USING THE GRINDER.

G

Gazzer

Why shout ? Turn the Caps off .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

why anyone would waste the life time of a expensive drillbit drilling 4 holes in a tile when you can do it twice as quick with a grinder is just god dam madness,the man should be in a institute tied to a chair with a ski mask over his face,cccrrraaaazzyyyyyyyy

S

Spud

in the picture of the light fitting the tiles has obviously been cut out after the tiling had been finished and butchered by who ever tried to fit the light , where it comes on the joint line it is an easy cut with the grinder out of 3 seperate tiles, I do agree with core drilling corners for certain porcelain as it hepls release tension in the tile and can help avoiding stress cracks from the L cut but in this photo the tiler was not to blame for the poor cutting

D

Dougs Third Go

Like this Doug....

[video=youtube;Ia6nrt5Xk3g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia6nrt5Xk3g[/video]
it wasn't that one Oli, it was one I made myself, I've posted it here on TF before, I'll have another look for it, it did involve drilling two holes though tbh.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

in the picture of the light fitting the tiles has obviously been cut out after the tiling had been finished and butchered by who ever tried to fit the light , where it comes on the joint line it is an easy cut with the grinder out of 3 seperate tiles, I do agree with core drilling corners for certain porcelain as it hepls release tension in the tile and can help avoiding stress cracks from the L cut but in this photo the tiler was not to blame for the poor cutting
just a tech question gary,how does drilling 4 holes in a tile make a difference to to stress in the tile ? wouldnt drilling 4 holes cause more stress in the tile,more vibration causing more stress ?
if ive got the wrong end of the stick i apologize ;)

S

Spud

just a tech question gary,how does drilling 4 holes in a tile make a difference to to stress in the tile ? wouldnt drilling 4 holes cause more stress in the tile,more vibration causing more stress ?
if ive got the wrong end of the stick i apologize ;)
Some large format porcelain tiles become highly tensioned when they are produced, cutting a large diameter hole in the tile can release the tension in the tile, the hole size needs to be greater than 30mm in diameter to be big enough to release the tension in the tile ,cutting 4 holes out of the corners in this instance is madness in my opinion and I certainly would never do it on a ceramic tile I would just use a grinder or drop the tile onto a wet saw blade ,we did have a batch of thin porcelain tiles that were impossible to L cut unless we had released the tension in them with a 40mm core drill and after that they could be shaped any way we wanted

D

d noulton

why not buy a montolit squadro disc from tradetiler fits on angle grinder only 95mm diameter perfect for socket cut outs used it last year on porcelain no problems

N

NZ_Tiler

Silly question, but what shape plug boxes do you have in the UK? Are they all square like this? Here in Austria they are all round flush boxes, so drilling a 63mm hole is much faster then grinder and nippers.

Reply to How do I drill a SQUARE hole into tile to install an electrical socket in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks