Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

firstly thanks for taking the time to write,

I was told that I should buy a 12mm trowel earlier,

well as i'm laying on big boards not floor boards, is that still relevant? I'm not sure what brick bond is, today is the first time I've realized i'll need the levelling boards, so i'll have to do some research.

Mechanical cutter is Jokosit Professional Tile Cutter 800mm/80cm Plus Extra Titanium Gold Tile Blade

Wet cutter is Vitrex 113402NDE 450W Torque Master Tile Saw 240V

The adhesive is - Keraquick white fast setting adhesive 20kg x 5

The Grout is - keracolor sf 100 white grout 5kg x 1

I realise that i'll have to do small areas because the adhesive sets quickly.

I have read somewhere that for small grout lines of 1mm the floor would need to be very stable and a high quality tile, seeming its a level floor which will have levelling boards and I believe the tiles are high quality could I reduce my grout line?

W

WetSaw

Take the fast set adhesive back and get standard set, it'll have gone off in the bucket before you've got your first tile laid. White grout on a floor isn't usually the best idea either as it won't stay white for long! 3mm is the British standard for floor tiles.

O

Old Mod

First things first, honestly, I'd suggest you exchange your adhesive for a standard set.
You won't cope with a rapid with those tiles.
You'll be mixing one batch per tile probably,
and you'll have no time to makes adjustments if needed.
Measure your tiles from corner to corner diagonally, that'll give you an indication as to how good they are. They should measure exactly the same on both axis.
That's two measurements per tile, both diagonals.
Measure a few and make sure the result is constant.
Then lay them face to face and see if they are flat. If they're not, they will rock or spin about the centre.
That'll indicate how you'll need to apply adhesive.

O

Old Mod

This is brick bonding the insulation boards.
And taping the joints. It's a scrim type tape, covered with tile adhesive. IMG_6415.JPG

M

mp3wizard

it's from Tile Mountain, i'll have to see if they will exchange.

if they do come back as consistent after measuring could I reduce my grout line?

Yes i'm living in dream land where I think no-one will actually walk on the tiles, they'll just gaze from afar at how nice it looks

great ok, thanks for the pic, so providing its taped at joint I can use the tile adhesive I already have.

D

Dumbo

it's from Tile Mountain, i'll have to see if they will exchange.

if they do come back as consistent after measuring could I reduce my grout line?

Yes i'm living in dream land where I think no-one will actually walk on the tiles, they'll just gaze from afar at how nice it looks

great ok, thanks for the pic, so providing its taped at joint I can use the tile adhesive I already have.[/QUOTEtwice you have been told British standard minimum for floor joints is 3mm

M

mp3wizard

Yes British standard, but I've seen other forums that say if they are high quality tiles with optimum floor levelling it can be reduced to 2mm.

Reaction score
If not already mentioned, invest in some levelling clips, you'll be glad you did. Definitely go over your UFH wires with SLC, it will protect the wires from any mishaps with the trowel etc while you're tiling, follow the installation instructions to the letter with the UFH, particularly the bit that says check the mat after each stage with a multi meter. Don't forget to back butter the tiles. :)

O

Old Mod

The insulation boards have nothing to do with the adhesive you use, no.
You need to change your adhesive to a standard/slow set.
Your existing floor, is it completely stable?
Is there ANY bounce anywhere?
Get a totally brim full glass of water, place it in various locations around your floor and walk around it and see if it spills.
And don't tip toe so that it doesn't.
You should be able to try and make it spill and it not!
You can't do anything else until you have a sound base to start with.
If these basics are not followed, it will end in tears!

M

mp3wizard

I hear you,

well I took some advice from earlier and I ordered some Deltaboards, I personally think it would of been ok but everyone said that I need it so I bought it.

Self levelling compound aswell... can I not just be extra vigilant and lay a good layer of adhesive?

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
SLC protects the wires, your using a metal trowel. It does have sharp corners, plus it guarantees you fully encase the wires, it's what most on here do if not all. It's the best way

M

mp3wizard

ok cheers, well I will try to fit the insulation boards this weekend and start with the rest the weekend after :)

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks