Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

At the end of the day it is a personal opinion as to which way looks the best.
Sometimes we are instructed to set out against our advice and other times we make the decision. A lot can be dependant on the design of the tile and the need to follow a pattern around ( such as book match) and the colour of a travertine piece.
All I'am saying is putting a bit of furniture over the tiling is not one of the factors that would decide my setting out!

O

Old Mod

If anyone on here says that no matter what, in every circumstance without exception, they've centred every area throughout their entire professional career they're being less than honest.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've often shown clients different set out options and had the ....we will go with the slither against that wall because the furniture will hide it option.
This is mainly when tiling multiple rooms....hallway into kitchen ect

O

Old Mod

At the end of the day it is a personal opinion as to which way looks the best.
Sometimes we are instructed to set out against our advice and other times we make the decision. A lot can be dependant on the design of the tile and the need to follow a pattern around ( such as book match) and the colour of a travertine piece.
All I'am saying is putting a bit of furniture over the tiling is not one of the factors that would decide my setting out!
I think you're taking things to an extreme there John in the way you're deciding to translate previous posts.
If the guy is in, what he considers to be his home for life, and he wants to see 3 full tiles throw the main entrance to his kitchen, but it leave a smaller cut to one side, which will be hidden amongst fixtures and fittings, why the hell not?
How far have you got to stand back to see a room
4-5m wide and be able to take it in within your peripheral vision?
Saying a space has to be centred without exception is just short sighted and not what we're paid to do.
We're there to give the client what he wants and the best possible finish.
When have you walked off a job because you weren't allowed to centre a room? Haha

M

mp3wizard

Morning all, makes a change for me not to be centre of an argument. I understand that it is the done thing to centralise it usually, but there 800mm tiles I'd rather see a full a tile as possible for majority of room, rather than make 2 cuts, I know there will be some furniture on that side but it's not all about hiding it, I personally don't see it being terrible, needs to be cut somewhere, that would mean having a cut by bifolds and entrance, I'd rather just have a cut by bifolds. My bathroom is extremely small so again being able to see huge tiles going under bath with fewer visible cuts would be my preference, and same for kitchen, as cabinets will be sat over perimeter.

O

Old Mod

is it because Ive advised it ? ,

Haha no Craig, why the hell would you think that! Haha the way I look at a job is just different to yours, like you would look at a plastering job different to me, that's all, it's nothing sinister. Haha

T

Time's Ran Out

I think you're taking things to an extreme there John in the way you're deciding to translate previous posts.
If the guy is in, what he considers to be his home for life, and he wants to see 3 full tiles throw the main entrance to his kitchen, but it leave a smaller cut to one side, which will be hidden amongst fixtures and fittings, why the hell not?
How far have you got to stand back to see a room
4-5m wide and be able to take it in within your peripheral vision?
Saying a space has to be centred without exception is just short sighted and not what we're paid to do.
We're there to give the client what he wants and the best possible finish.
When have you walked off a job because you weren't allowed to centre a room? Haha
Not sure if you even read my post with this reply!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Who's
Morning all, makes a change for me not to be centre of an argument. I understand that it is the done thing to centralise it usually, but there 800mm tiles I'd rather see a full a tile as possible for majority of room, rather than make 2 cuts, I know there will be some furniture on that side but it's not all about hiding it, I personally don't see it being terrible, needs to be cut somewhere, that would mean having a cut by bifolds and entrance, I'd rather just have a cut by bifolds. My bathroom is extremely small so again being able to see huge tiles going under bath with fewer visible cuts would be my preference, and same for kitchen, as cabinets will be sat over perimeter.
You will have to make 2 cuts, if you come square off the bi-fold doors

T

Tile Shop

I'm not even going to pretend that my advise is up there with other time served Tilers in terms of setting out as I haven't had to do it often. But, if I had centred my kitchen floor tiling to the whole room, I would have had a 2 inch slither in front of my units on one side and almost a full tile on the other. Would have looked poo. So I centred it from the main focal point and the largest visible area.

Now the only visible "slither" is 4 inches wide in front of a stepped door way right opposite another door so you do see it when you enter the room from one end. There are also some short cuts at one end of the room that you can't see because of a fridge and a dining table. But its the lesser of two evils. Better than having a 2 metre long, 50mm wide turd in the kitchen. Nothing is going to get moved around in the near future, and my missus is happy with it.

O

Old Mod

Ok John I'll apologise,I may have focused on your last sentence more than the whole post.
Bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part.
My intention was to say that, the fact that furniture will be covering that side of the room isn't really being considered as a setting out factor, it's being considered more as a compromise to give the overall desired effect.
I'll try not to respond in haste cos I'm walking out the door in future. :)

B

Bill

I don't centre any floor. I just tile it how it will look best for the tiles and room. If that means starting with a full tile from the rooms focal point then so be it, the same can be said if I centre it. Unless you are tiling a repetitive area then each job should be set out on its own merits.

Now that is the best advice on this subject and I expect a trusted advisor badge forthwith.

I

Italy

I don't centre any floor. I just tile it how it will look best for the tiles and room. If that means starting with a full tile from the rooms focal point then so be it, the same can be said if I centre it. Unless you are tiling a repetitive area then each job should be set out on its own merits.

Now that is the best advice on this subject and I expect a trusted advisor badge forthwith.
I can give you mine if you want...:) I do not need, I'm already over the badge green ;)

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks