Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
I

Italy

Please checkout the following advertisement.
See now I don't agree. :D
I'm not talking about this job in particular, I'm talking generally. A room doesn't always look best centred imo. A room looks best with the overall effect being pleasing, and if that means hiding a cut under a sofa, then so be it.
I'm not saying this is the best set out for this room, but I can see the merit of looking from the main door or hallway and seeing 3 full tiles across the opening and down into the family room.
I feel that a room of this size is difficult to see as a whole once you're in it, you can't actually see it all within your field of view.
So does centralising it really matter?
Surely you want impact?
So as you enter a property and look through you want to see it for its best, cos once you're in the room it's too big to take it in all at once.
So in some instances I'd be happy to put a smaller cut where it'll be covered with furniture if the rest gave a better effect. But that's just me. :)
for me it is normal, the more you have the entire tile for the expansion joint, without cutting tiles.
but this, this is the praxis in an apartment with furniture to one side.
different matter, when it comes to shops or larger environments.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

And of course there is always going to be a sofa there to hide it!!
Not the best answer to a setting out procedure.

OP
O

Old Mod

And of course there is always going to be a sofa there to hide it!!
Not the best answer to a setting out procedure.
Doesn't really matter, we don't live there, if that's what the client wants, that's what a client gets.
We're taught to centre everything, don't mean it's always right.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Well I will eat my hat, I wish I could go through all the posts on here where you lot always advise to centre the room , and to make it look symmetrical, cuts the same at either end etc.
is it because Ive advised it ? , bit of a joke if I'm honest.
Trusted advises giving shoddy advice imo , I can't wait until his bloody wife says " no no , I don't want the settee there , it looks odd .
Good morning by the way ,

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Well I will eat my hat, I wish I could go through all the posts on here where you lot always advise to centre the room , and to make it look symmetrical, cuts the same at either end etc.
is it because Ive advised it ? , bit of a joke if I'm honest.
Trusted advises giving shoddy advice imo , I can't wait until his bloody wife says " no no , I don't want the settee there , it looks odd .
Good morning by the way ,
20161202_061625.png

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter, we don't live there, if that's what the client wants, that's what a client gets.
We're taught to centre everything, don't mean it's always right.
bull Marc, we are here to advise how to do it the right way , imo and every person I know, centring the room is the right advice , wizard, don't bother listening to advice any more, do it as you like my friend

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Next bit of advice , if you run out of tiles, take a few full ones up in the middle, replace with broken bits and grout, it won't matter the wifeis putting a rug over it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

OP
O

Old Mod

What the hell is wrong with you Craig.
What are you the setting out police?
Show me where it's written in stone that you have to centre every area.
That's complete bull and sometimes aesthetically wrong.

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock