Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

thanks, so looking ahead, hopefully I might lay a tile this year, would you say that I should have full sized tiles visible on entering the rooms with cuts on the left behind the wall (probably a sofa ontop) or would you have the cuts on entering room with then rows of full size tiles going along.

Untitled.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Id work from your bifolds, grout line from the centre of the bifold or full tile centred to the bifold, which ever works best .
Centre your main room and work from there

F

Flintstone

I agree with widler, that's the width, the full tile does look good when entering the toom, if it works nice elsewhere too, it may also be nice having symmetrical cuts in the kitchen area assuming that's as it appears on the diagram

M

mp3wizard

ok thanks, is it possible to use an orbital sander to smooth out the ridges rather than a angle grinder? there is quite a thick covering so I'm confident I wouldn't get anywhere near the wires...

M

mp3wizard

I used the orbital sander to get some of the ridges down, so I've done some layouts of tiles to get an idea of the best possible layout, and I've sketched my plan attached, 2 walls are different by half an inch, so I'm planning to take half an inch from the edge of the bottom right tile, for the grout lines to be in the same position all the way along, I plan to not do the radiator tiles, as i'll need a plumber in to remove the radiator and then I can drill threw the tile part. I've also not planned the kitchen or bathroom as I'm guessing that they will lead on from the grout lines in the main room.

I also put down a few tiles dry to practice using the levelling system, the tiles are perfectly level, but the wedges felt like they couldn't go any further, is that correct or was I not forceful enough?

I've got 5 bags of flexible adhesive which are rapid set, I should get a delivery tomorrow of another 15 which are slow set, so maybe I can use the rapid set at the end if I'm feeling confident enough.

I've read threw this thread religiously so I think I am set, but if there are any comments on my plan or better ways of doing it I'm all ears.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks odd to me , if you moved the tiles over towards your kitchen halfish you grout line will run down the centre of the room and a equal cut at either end and what looks like nearly anfull tile to the kitchen plinth,if you get my drift

M

mp3wizard

i know the usual thing is to split the difference either side but I actually prefer walking in to a full sized tile, I'm planning to put furniture and stuff on the left hand wall so my logic was to see as big and full as possible, but I understand your point.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It would work if the bi-fold wall and kitchen walls are at 90 degrees. If they run out then you will end up either cutting a little bit of each tile or trying to fill a gap. Run a chalk line at 90 degrees to the doors and then measure to the kitchen wall all the way along and see how far out it runs. You may have to cut say 40mm off the r/h side of the tile to allow for any discrepancy in the wall, and that amount wouldn't be noticeable to the eye.

I

Italy

i know the usual thing is to split the difference either side but I actually prefer walking in to a full sized tile, I'm planning to put furniture and stuff on the left hand wall so my logic was to see as big and full as possible, but I understand your point.
same for me, as marked on the drawing

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Well, this is a new one on me, not working from a centre point ?? Not working so it's visually pleasing to the eye ? Im suprised really, nah im not really :)
I know lets just put a cut where im putting the settee, be reet that .

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Well, this is a new one on me, not working from a centre point ?? Not working so it's visually pleasing to the eye ?
I know lets just put a cut where im putting the settee, be reet that .

You're right Craig it would look better centralised and as you walk into that room then it would be symmetrical, and that would be my personal preference.

O

Old Mod

See now I don't agree. :D
I'm not talking about this job in particular, I'm talking generally. A room doesn't always look best centred imo. A room looks best with the overall effect being pleasing, and if that means hiding a cut under a sofa, then so be it.
I'm not saying this is the best set out for this room, but I can see the merit of looking from the main door or hallway and seeing 3 full tiles across the opening and down into the family room.
I feel that a room of this size is difficult to see as a whole once you're in it, you can't actually see it all within your field of view.
So does centralising it really matter?
Surely you want impact?
So as you enter a property and look through you want to see it for its best, cos once you're in the room it's too big to take it in all at once.
So in some instances I'd be happy to put a smaller cut where it'll be covered with furniture if the rest gave a better effect. But that's just me. :)

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks