Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Call me a bit daft in the head if you want , but forums are for help , to help people who need it.
By telling someone the blloody obvious
" get a tiler "
is not helping matters .
If this chap can't afford a tiler , and is a competent diyer he may just be able to pull it off , seeing some of the work put on here he may just get one of the shhit ones anyway ;)
BUT i will say if he does not listen to the advice about how to do the job , then thats his problem, and it would be imo a big problem if he does not lay insulation boards over that timber , or use slc over the wiring o_O

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

@widler - you tried and he didn't listen so surely that's going to say it all!
Your daft ;) for trying to help to this extent , there is no way that the amount of advice he requires can be provided in a few posts but he can search threads to obtain it.
Paint on primer with 2 separate wood substrates?
For me I have to draw a line with how much involvement I'am prepared to give as in this instance its not DIY but a major investment that could go badly.
Just my humble opinion.

OP
M

mp3wizard

I realise that it's not in Tilers interest to say that I can make a decent job of it as ofcourse it's less tile work for the trade, but I've successfully done some DIY which turned out well, I've changed an alternator on a sports car with absolutely no mechanical knowledge, simply following instructions and pictures from a forum saving me a thousand. So aslong as I don't rush in gun ho and think methodically I believe I can make a decent job of it.

Seems like I shouldn't skimp on the insulation boards especially seeming i'm attempting it myself, i'll order some, thanks Widler.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Call me a bit daft in the head if you want , but forums are for help , to help people who need it.
" get a tiler "
is not helping matters .
If this chap can't afford a tiler , and is a competent diyer he may just be able to pull it off , seeing some of the work put on here he may just get one of the shhit ones anyway ;)
BUT i will say if he does not listen to the advice about how to do the job , then thats his problem, and it would be imo a big problem if he does not lay insulation boards over that timber , or use slc over the wiring o_O
True,this forum are here for help,but due to difficulty of this job must give him the right direction.
IMO go on heating floor with 800 x 800 is a high risk to damage wires,fit 800 x 800 is hard for an experienced tiler,do it right is another story,so I can't encourage him when I know all this issues.

OP
D

Dumbo

" get a tiler "
is not helping matters .
What needs to be pointed out is that he would the same volume of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to fill voids between wires as he would smoothing compound
True,this forum are here for help,but due to difficulty of this job must give him the right direction.
IMO go on heating floor with 800 x 800 is a high risk to damage wires,fit 800 x 800 is hard for an experienced tiler,do it right is another story,so I can't encourage him when I know all this issues.
Price wise material costs it will cost no more to use slc as if he doesn't fill voids in ufh with slc he will have to do it with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ roughly speaking they are the same price

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I realise that it's not in Tilers interest to say that I can make a decent job of it as ofcourse it's less tile work for the trade, but I've successfully done some DIY which turned out well, I've changed an alternator on a sports car with absolutely no mechanical knowledge, simply following instructions and pictures from a forum saving me a thousand. So aslong as I don't rush in gun ho and think methodically I believe I can make a decent job of it.

Seems like I shouldn't skimp on the insulation boards especially seeming i'm attempting it myself, i'll order some, thanks Widler.
Is not about our interest here,if this job was near to me I come free to help you at lest to set up and start,is just about too many steps need to be done right where we fail after 20-30 years on tools.
All I can do is:
I wish you luck!

OP
M

mp3wizard

Well I appreciate all the feedback, and whilst there are a lot of articles to help me, one size doesn't fit all, so by starting this thread I have picked up some additional useful tips.

OP
O

Old Mod

@mp3wizard, believe me when I say that there is not one tiler on here trying to discourage you from tile your own floor because it's taking trade from us!
I would bet that the vast majority of fixers here are already well booked in to next year.

We are indeed here to help, and that is what we will do, provided you take heed.
However, there are many tilers out there that would run from such a project.
So make no mistake, what you are about to embark on is a major task, measure 5 times & cut once!!

OP
M

mp3wizard

I understand,

I've seen mixed reviews on the tile leveler spacer, would you recommend I use it over a normal spacer?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Agree with what has been said.

Listen to the advice and then plan your strategy of how you will proceed. Use diamond hole cutters for round rad pipes etc, it will look so much better.

And get a good cutter, even if you have to buy it and then sell it afterwards, it will be worth it

OP
M

mp3wizard

yes similar, but there are ones that act as a spacer also, so it would be 3mm grout line.

I don't think I can get away with a 1mm grout line with such a big tile could I?

OP
O

Old Mod

yes similar, but there are ones that act as a spacer also, so it would be 3mm grout line.

I don't think I can get away with a 1mm grout line with such a big tile could I?
That was just an example, they do come in 3mm widths however.
I'd suggest that with each stage, you start a new thread, otherwise you'll be inundated with information and it'll probably overwhelm you.

First thing is first, make sure you have the correct tools.
For such a large format tile, this is the trowel you should purchase;
RAGNI R319-10 10mm tile Trowel - 1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/9788034470/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5J0myb1S9VK57

Not necessarily from Amazon, selco's sell them too.
Make sure it's 10mm notch.
And you'll want to use your 6mm to stick down the insulation boards.
You will also want to lay your insulation boards perpendicular to your existing floor boards.
And lay them brick bond.
Make sure you do not have insulation board joints lining up with boards below.
And then tape the joints.

What mechanical cutter do you have?
What wet cutter do you have?
What https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ do you have?

That'll keep you busy for a bit.

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock