Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If it was me in your situation, the thing you need is a height to work to, otherwise you could be pouring slc forever. If you can get a bag of plastic packers, of varying thicknesses you will be able to get it somewhat nearer than just pouring and hoping. If you find the high point on the existing poured slc and then work from there.

What you need to do is silicone the first packer (cut them into 3 pieces) to the high point. Sit your level on top of the packer and approx 600mm away from there use more packers until its level. Move round the room uniformly fixing the packers with silicone. Once set you can then pour the new slc until it's level with the top of the packers

This is what I mean, unless you've already done it

Packers.png

M

mp3wizard

thanks John, being able to see visually will be a huge help,

will 1 mixed pack of 200 be sufficient?
is there any special type of silicone I should use?
I'm guessing I should avoid placing them over the heating element if I can help it.
with this method should I still be using the straight edge of the level to spread or will the usual pour and spiked roller be sufficient?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
thanks John, being able to see visually will be a huge help,

will 1 mixed pack of 200 be sufficient?
is there any special type of silicone I should use?
I'm guessing I should avoid placing them over the heating element if I can help it.
with this method should I still be using the straight edge of the level to spread or will the usual pour and spiked roller be sufficient?

More than enough, cut them into 3 pieces to make them smaller. Any silicone will be fine. I would just pour and use a trowel particularly over the existing slc as it will spread less easily as the thickness will probably be a few mm at most. Pour and use the roller on areas where the new slc is going. Work quickly though, it will set faster the thinner it is!!!!

M

mp3wizard

I bought 120 packers and the primer, and a multimeter to test the cables are ok, I should of tested them before putting the slc over, still worth doing now before another 10 bags and adhesive and tiles go over though.

If everything does go to plan my feet better be grateful for all this hardwork, When you see that the heating system costs around £450 with fancy thermostat you think that's the majority of the cost, but if you add everything else up it's actually the cheapest part.

I hope to do my prepping Friday and pour Saturday, so i'll upload photos when it's done, thanks.

O

Old Mod

nice job, how'd you get on with the levelling clips, any tips?
Don't expect too much from the clips, they're more about holding tiles in place while the adhesive sets than levelling the tiles.
They're designed to break away after, so applying too much force will break them before you've even set them.
What system do you have?

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks