Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

I just watched this one, I guess the only question I have left is am I just using the slc on the crap bits or throughout the entire area?

M

mp3wizard

I've enquired with a company to finish off the screeding, I'd be providing the SLC, what would be a competitive price in your opinion?

R

rufus the tiler

Tiling is not rocket science I know but the more experience the better the job generally...so with no experience and with a job as per drawing.....I think (especially as it looks like you have spending a few quid) to risk messing with the finishing Ie tiling....you would be unwise......wall tiling maybe...but floors are a bit harder to get looking right

D

dave l and l

think you will have to get a few qoutes from people who will be willing to level the floor for you. can your builder recommend someone to you,

average

TF
Reaction score
I've enquired with a company to finish off the screeding, I'd be providing the SLC, what would be a competitive price in your opinion?

OP, don't throw the towel in. Have a crack at it again . Large Eze spat, large trowel, mix the SL to the right consistently and you'll be ok. You already know what not to do, next time you'll get it right. Don't be giving up that easy. It's only a floor!

average

TF
Reaction score
@average it's only a floor and they 're only 800x800 mm tiles! Do you think a novice will be able to make it flat enough or has he accepted this stage requires outside help.

I know but it isnt rocket science. I do understand your concern thou because your a professional tiler and take pride in your trade however, if the guy gets the base level(flat) enough with the SL and with plenty of addy, 12-15m trowel, back buttered and the tile leveling system, he'll pull off a nice enough diy finish. Its not like hes laying a mosaic floor around corners etc, they are 800x800 tiles! Just as long as theres no large humps in the floor, im willing to put my faith in him and he'll pull it off. YEs he might have some grout lines that are 5mm, and others 4mm and maybe a 3mm somewhere but at the end of the day, its his house, his money and itll be an ego boost for him when he does do a reasonable job. People are to quick to jump on fellas tiling a floor. Ive seen some horrendous tiling in my time but i have faith in this guy. Cant wait to see the finished pictures.

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I know but it isnt rocket science. I do understand your concern thou because your a professional tiler and take pride in your trade however, if the guy gets the base level(flat) enough with the SL and with plenty of addy, 12-15m trowel, back buttered and the tile leveling system, he'll pull off a nice enough diy finish. Its not like hes laying a mosaic floor around corners etc, they are 800x800 tiles! Just as long as theres no large humps in the floor, im willing to put my faith in him and he'll pull it off. YEs he might have some grout lines that are 5mm, and others 4mm and maybe a 3mm somewhere but at the end of the day, its his house, his money and itll be an ego boost for him when he does do a reasonable job. People are to quick to jump on fellas tiling a floor. Ive seen some horrendous tiling in my time but i have faith in this guy. Cant wait to see the finished pictures.
It's not a question of being a professional tiler, he was advised about having a go himself saying what has happened may happen. It's actually a lot harder to lay 800 x 800 tiles than 300 x 300 for arguments sake. The floor has to be prepped a lot better for the larger tiles. He also said he has height issues to deal with, more self level will make this worse. Plenty of addy as you put it will also make this worse. furthermore it's not needed if it's prepped correctly. Unfortunately it has disaster written all over it.

M

mp3wizard

thanks for your vote of confidence average, I do feel that the next batch of SLC will go better, but I understand the concerns from others that it is the last attempt before I'd get into problems with floor level etc, so I want it get it right, if these guys comeback with a reasonable quote then for peace of mind I might use them for screeding only, if it's too much then I will do myself using the methods discussed.

F

Flintstone

Just have a think carefully about it, if you can't get the floor flat to within a couple of mm over the length of your 2m level then your gonna struggle with those tiles same as a professional would

M

mp3wizard

I understand, I just got the quote in and it was over double what I'd consider paying, so I will be going it alone (well help from bro aswell).

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If it was me in your situation, the thing you need is a height to work to, otherwise you could be pouring slc forever. If you can get a bag of plastic packers, of varying thicknesses you will be able to get it somewhat nearer than just pouring and hoping. If you find the high point on the existing poured slc and then work from there.

What you need to do is silicone the first packer (cut them into 3 pieces) to the high point. Sit your level on top of the packer and approx 600mm away from there use more packers until its level. Move round the room uniformly fixing the packers with silicone. Once set you can then pour the new slc until it's level with the top of the packers

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks