Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Spare Tool

Well id be using that more than the spiked roller. Mark the dips out and use the straight edge to pull the leveller over them..

M

mp3wizard

Thanks for the tip, excuse my ignorance, but do you mean use the straight edge of the level to pull over the dips?

S

Spare Tool

Thanks for the tip, excuse my ignorance, but do you mean use the straight edge of the level to pull over the dips?
Yes, go over your floor with the straight edge and mark out the dips first, its hard to tell from a picture how bad your highs and lows are, it was flat in the first place so surely cant be that bad..

average

TF
Reaction score
OP, the longer the straight edge the better because if you use a smaller stright edge, you might think youve a bump but infact its actually a dip and can make it worse. Ive seen before some tilers chasing their tale filling with slc rather than removing a bump with a grinding disk.

F

Flintstone

What Andy is saying is to pour the slc down and lay the straight edge on the floor and drag it over it so it essentially drags all the slc and it will fill the low spots.
Your second pour looks better but it doesn't look like you have used the spiked roller a lot!
Where you get the tidal lines they are the areas you really want to be rollering

S

Spare Tool

OP, the longer the straight edge the better because if you use a smaller stright edge, you might think youve a bump but infact its actually a dip and can make it worse. Ive seen before some tilers chasing their tale filling with slc rather than removing a bump with a grinding disk.
Grinding disks and ufh cables won't end well, if there's a gap under the straight edge it needs filling. Mp3 has never leveled a floor before and the first attempt using the spiked roller didn't go too well, so what's the point in going through all that again. Imo after marking all the dips out a long straight edge is the best chance he's got at getting this floor tileable..

average

TF
Reaction score
Grinding disks and ufh cables won't end well, if there's a gap under the straight edge it needs filling. Mp3 has never leveled a floor before and the first attempt using the spiked roller didn't go too well, so what's the point in going through all that again. Imo after marking all the dips out a long straight edge is the best chance he's got at getting this floor tileable..

No im not saying he should grind. Was just pointing out about other tilers ive seen thinking it needs more SL rather than grinded.

M

mp3wizard

image.jpg
Yeah there were a lot of lose wires around my 2nd pour, I glided over with the spiked roller but I didn't feel comfortable putting force to roll as I think the wires would of came up.

So I need to check the top level only on the level, I'm a bit confused on what method I'm using to spread it, am I pouring a thick layer by the bifolds then scrapping along the floor, or gliding it? Won't it leave a juddering effect on the finish?

Or should I just pour the entire area then glide over it afterwards? Until now I've not been stepping on the compound once, so by getting on hands and knees to scrap it's a big change.

S

Spare Tool

Survey the whole floor first with your longest level, get right down and look under it for dips, mark the dips with a permanent marker, pour some leveler in and drag your level over it...like this

WP_20170106_12_40_01_Pro.jpg

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks