Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

yeh it's much better, I mean by the time I put another 5 bags down that's 13 bags in total, if that's not been enough to cover the area adequately, then I would of needed to buy an additional 5-10 bags anyway, so it's obviously more work but I guess it's not additional cost is it.

B

Bill

yeh it's much better, I mean by the time I put another 5 bags down that's 13 bags in total, if that's not been enough to cover the area adequately, then I would of needed to buy an additional 5-10 bags anyway, so it's obviously more work but I guess it's not additional cost is it.
but you should have read the earlier posts that told you to do it in one go so that the next batch of SLC would seamlessly bond with the last batch - now that you have dried SLC next to wet stuff, it will be 10 times harder to get right.

M

mp3wizard

yeah I saw a minimum of 8 bags on an earlier post, so I should have ordered more than I needed, maybe 15 bags but I thought that would of been enough, by the time I put tomorrows batch down that will be 3 different brands of compound, in hindsight yep I would of ordered more and all the same brand.

F

Flintstone

I would check with whoever you get it from but It will most probably need priming again before levelling on top, you might have more luck with a slow set leveller

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
These are what I use to self level floors ,as you can see they are for skimming, but I find the 4ft speed skim with a pole makes them ideal for slc .
It's awful stuff to try and get level over matting , the tape it's stuck down with is usually crap and it cones away and can float to the top.
I'd buy a good few more bags, I'd prime the slc and go over the lot .
Make it as wet as you can , the most amount of water, most take around 5l ish, or 25kg bags more .

M

mp3wizard

thanks, so i'm ok just to the last bit, let it dry then plan to go over it all again, when you say primer do you mean like pva glue? I primed underneath the boards with a heat resistant primer, but it was a bit pricey.

F

Flintstone

Not pva glue! You need acrylic primer, your local tile shop will have it. Diluted as per instructions

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A sbr or any acrylic primer will do, or use a primer the same as your slc, so if you are using Webber, use there primer

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am with @Simons70 - there is giving advice and trying to explain years of experience in a few posts.
There is a library of information in the search area and I'am sure everything will be there to help.
Good luck.
@widler - you tried and he didn't listen so surely that's going to say it all!
Your daft ;) for trying to help to this extent , there is no way that the amount of advice he requires can be provided in a few posts but he can search threads to obtain it.
Paint on primer with 2 separate wood substrates?
For me I have to draw a line with how much involvement I'am prepared to give as in this instance its not DIY but a major investment that could go badly.
Just my humble opinion.

My 3rd and final post!

M

mp3wizard

it's actually gone very well so far, a bit of an issue with slc, but It will be rectified, no need to troll!

M

mp3wizard

some people can't wait until they see you fall flat on your face, horrible mentality to have.

T

Time's Ran Out

it's actually gone very well so far, a bit of an issue with slc, but It will be rectified, no need to troll!

Read the advice and don't suggest my posts are inflammatory. Every stage in your attempts to undertake this project has resulted in failure and now you have mixed different compounds and have drying issues to contend with. Your attitude to advice that you haven't liked has resulted in attacking comments in return just like these last 2.

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks