Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
F

Flintstone

The only way to sort it is to give the whole floor one good coat of slc over what's there, it needs doing right next time, if your not confident just swallow your pride and pay some one to do that for you, it has a massive bearing on how the finished floor turns out. Your gonna need another 10 bags

OP
M

mp3wizard

ok, Can you please tell me what exactly is wrong with what's been done so far? I really did follow everything advised to the letter, spiked roller, pouring equal amounts, only trowlling a little bit on the edges.

I don't think Tom would help me lol

OP
F

Flintstone

You have probably mixed it too thick, and over troweled it with a hand trowel. You need to make extra care that everything is well stuck down so the wires don't pop up when your levelling, which is what's happend, and any extra thick wires such as the cold tail, usually you chop that into the insulation a bit to keep the height right

OP
W

WetSaw

It looks like not enough SLC and pouring too slowly. You will probably find a second layer easier as you've now got a relatively flat surface to go over. Buy more SLC than you need, you can usually take back what you don't use.

OP
M

mp3wizard

it was 2 different brands of slc, first batch of 5 felt good, the 2nd batch didn't have the same consistency, the correct water levels were followed, my bro trowled it a tiny bit on the sides, but where it looks rough, it was literally just a spiked roller, I think the heating mats are still stuck to the floor, but the slc is not think enough in places, yes it's the cold tail that is sticking up, the power leads were really thick, so it was a bit thicker there to try and cover them,

OP
B

Bill

ok, Can you please tell me what exactly is wrong with what's been done so far? I really did follow everything advised to the letter, spiked roller, pouring equal amounts, only trowlling a little bit on the edges.

I don't think Tom would help me lol
I have already helped you but you ignored me.

OP
F

Flintstone

IMG_2128.JPG Here's one I levelled last year, you can still see the wire outlines but they are fully covered

OP
M

mp3wizard

He has lost the *** packet so all measurements are in his head.

But if you would have a got a pro tiler in, just to look at the job he/she would have told you from the getgo about height tolerances.

Get an artist (a pro one) to paint a tile effect 1 metre from the bi-fold doors........

At least buy a ticket John........

Jeepers............

That's help is it Tom?

OP
M

mp3wizard

well if I use the 5 bags to complete the rest of the unfinished area and let it dry, then buy an additional 10 bags to pour over everything I have already covered, it should be a lot easier without all the mats and wires.

OP
B

Bill

Here is a job I am 'sorting' out for a customer who tried to tile and use SLC themselves..... notice the difference in my finished SLC to theirs?

20161223_093507.jpg 20161223_093454.jpg 20170105_083856.jpg

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock