Discuss Hot Water Under Floor Heating On A Sand Cement Screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

lm tiles

Any advice on tiling onto a sand cement screed laid over underfloor heating pipes . I would imagine the screed will be pretty weak not like a concrete floor . Ceramic tiles ..

D

DHTiling

If the screed is laid right then it won't be weak....use flexi products to tile with...Also a product like ditra mat is ideal for this type of installation.........

L

lm tiles

will do m8 .its great to have a back up like this site . does wonders for your confidence .

E

enduro

A plumber mate of mine when they have laid this type of heating turn the heating on for a couple of days as hot as it will go then let the floor go cold before i tile, dont know if this helps to stop to much expansion.

P

Perry

Had one turn the heating on to 30 deg while still tilling on limestone nice one
:furious3: :mad2:

L

Leatherface

Guys - to do the job properly - first the screed should be allowed to dry out naturally - dependant upon conditions. Once dry the underfloor heating should be switched on and gradually brought up to maximum operating temperature - . Leave on once max temp has been reached for a couple of days , then allow to cool down prior to tiling. The reason for switching the heating on first is to allow for any initial expansion and cracking of the screed due to the heat.
Once tiles have been fixed again leave heating off for a couple of weeks, then again heating should be switched on and gradually brought up to maximum temp again.
Sounds a drawn out process, but a safe one. This is what I always advise and have never had any tiles crack or lift.

W

White Room

If I was laying screed on under floor heating, It be would ready mixed with fibres mixed in for strength and leave to cure, never seen covering over screed, but 60mm have even layed 75mm,and your'll need more than a couple weeks. No heating until screed has cured notch up slowly, otherwise cracking will happen. They say concrete reaches its maximum strength after 30 years

L

Leatherface

Cheers Dave - will try to be as helpful as I can, where I can. Fair play ti IM Tiles for asking - have seen a few jobs done where tilers have not asked and carried on regardless with disasterous and costly results

Reply to Hot Water Under Floor Heating On A Sand Cement Screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks