Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help ... :-( in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

jbikkyou

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

not sure which thread to post this in. We ended up going with a tiler recommended by the showroom we purchased the tiles from. We have ended up in a semi-disaster as on clean runs they tile nicely (although I think they eat https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ like porridge) - but they cannot cut porcelain to save their lives - we have horrible chipped edges on all the detail cuts.

Finally last night whilst snagging I noticed that they have not put in the vertical strips for the shower glass (too easy to miss this when day monitoring and you would hope that they would think about it).

So I either need to destroy 24 porcelanosa tiles at £40/square or find a way to cut the channel on the wall(s).

I had seen this Rubi circular saw - - does anyone out there have one - and/or do you think it would work (i.e. would we be able to achieve a clean cut with tiles in situ ?

Finally does anyone have any good tips on how to achieve those detail cuts without chipping on Porcelanosa Marmol Carrara/Dark Shine

Thanks in advance

John

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Did Porcelanosa recommend the fixers or a tile shop who showed Porcelanosa?
You should be able to use an angle grinder with a good blade to cut most of the glass channels but you may have a job getting into the corner joint.
Not sure from your post who was at fault for the glass panels being fitted/recess into tiles but unless the position was clearly marked and the channels on site then your tiler may have assumed a surface fitting screen.
What type of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was supplied, what quantity, and how many tiles did it fix. There are various methods of fixing tiles, and different levels in substrate.

OP
J

jbikkyou

Any pics to make a judgement...
Thanks for the responses and apologies for the delay in replying.

I think the Porcelanosa dark shine are particularly hard to cut and avoid edge sharding - with the cream substrate and dark glaze it stands out a mile. Still interested if anyone has good tips for cutting them though.

I did sack the tilers - they kept burning through tiles - up to 30% wastage on one room and they screwed up shower tray details :-(

I invested in a Rubi 250-1200 which is a great piece of kit. If I had any complaints it would be the difficulty to lock the blade low (it has a lock knob but it doesn't seem very effective) and its tricky to judge the mitring edge when doing 45s - it feels like there should be a jig for that - there is possible too much play in the blade when mitring - so too quick and the blade will lift off the mitring edge.

Reply to Help ... :-( in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock