Discuss Help! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

julie bw

Any advice please. I had porcelain tiles put in my bathroom 12 months ago. Gradually on one wall they have started to lift and are rocking when touched. The wall behind these tiles is clinker block that has been skimmed with plaster. Can anybody advise me why this has happened and will the tiles be able to be put back on again. thanks

Q

Qwerty

Can you please take a photo of a tile off of the wall with a photo of the wall and the rear of the tile also

J

julie bw

Hi Julie , it could be a number of issues , do you know firstly what adhesive was used ?
Hi dave he used pva on the wall then used flexible adhesive. On the other 3 walls that are solid brick the tiles have not moved.

J

julie bw

Hi plan tec tiling.the tiles are being removed next wed.the fella only wants to remove the main lose ones.they all sound hollow behind the tiles when you knock on the them

W

White Room

Any advice please. I had porcelain tiles put in my bathroom 12 months ago. Gradually on one wall they have started to lift and are rocking when touched. The wall behind these tiles is clinker block that has been skimmed with plaster. Can anybody advise me why this has happened and will the tiles be able to be put back on again. thanks

Skimmed with a single plaster coat or a two part plaster system ?

W

White Room

If he has done the above spot fixing...yes he would be to blame and why use pva.

J

julie bw

If he has done the above spot fixing...yes he would be to blame and why use pva.
I think he has spot fixed and will know when they come off next week. As for the pva why shouldnt he have used it and what should he have done. Thanks

W

White Room

What he should have done was use an appropriate sealer usually the same make as the adhesive manufacturer which absorbs into the plaster.
Pva tends to sit on the plaster surface and can soften even when it has dried when moisture from the adhesive soaks in to the surface.

J

julie bw

What he should have done was use an appropriate sealer usually the same make as the adhesive manufacturer which absorbs into the plaster.
Pva tends to sit on the plaster surface and can soften even when it has dried when moisture from the adhesive soaks in to the surface.
Ok.thanks so much for your advice.will mention this next week to him.he's already said that he wants another £200 to re tile the wall
I wouldn't mind but I didn't employ him in the first place it was the plumber who did!

O

One Day

In a nutshell - exactly what Whitebeam said.
There are many and varied (although quite dull) reasons why PVA shouldn't be used in tiling.
Unfortunately we hear time and again "I've always done it that way" or "that's how I was taught".
All wrong though.

Reply to Help! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks