Discuss HELP - Need to drill holes in granite worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

STEVEROG

Have acquired a piece of polished granite. This is 30mm thick. I want to use it as a vanity top in my bathroom with a counter-top basin on top. The problem is I need to drill two holes in this - one for the tap the other for the waste. Whats the best approach here..

1. Get a professional in to do it? if so can anyone recommend anyone near me (Portsmouth)

2. DIY? What are the best tools and should I buy/hire? where from which makes etc

Thanks

D

DHTiling

Make sure you double check all measurements before drilling..:thumbsup: expensive mistake if drilled in wrong place.

S

STEVEROG

Thanks for the input gents. I may opt for a simpler approach as I have not actually purchased the granite yet. I imagine that once I have purchased or hired the tools the cost won't be so cheap after all. I am now thinking of a corian type worktop or similar. Good compromise between the extremes of granite/quartz at one end and faced chipboard at the other.

Thanks again,

Steve

D

diamondtiling

Corian as against granite? I have seen two Kitchens with corian worktops and they were both naff. It scratches easily and looks cheap IMO.

:prrr:

W

wetdec

No disrespect to anyone but 30mm granite is not a job for hand drill imo, horses for courses, get it bored out on a jig job done m8..................

M

monkeyhanger

If you have a granite worktop place near you and you can get your slab of granite in the car (not sure how big or heavy it is), they might drill it for you for £15 or so per hole - cheaper than buying a diamond hole saw bit. Does the place selling you the piece not do drilling?

Of course you'd have to know exactly where you want those holes when you take it somewhere to be drilled.

D

Deleted member 1779

PORSADRILL (FROM 365Drills) will bore through a solid granite worktop with ease.

Its a perfect project for a DIY Person. It will take you about 90 seconds to drill through a solid granite kitchen worktop with our drills.

35mm.jpg

The 35mm is perfect for monoblocks. So if you have a single tap to go through then 35mm is your choice.

1.jpg

This is the project you are thinking about. A sink and tap through a solid lump of granite right?

24.jpg

"Before the 2 x holes"

30.jpg

Take your granite block outside (here you see I have it over an outsid drain)
Grab some water.

28.jpg

Use the guide plate we supply to hold the core steady on the granite block for a few seconds of drilling. Take about 10 second to drill the start.

33a.jpg

Remove the guide plate and pop the PORSADRILL diamond holesaw back into the preformed rim. Add some water and then just drill for 90 seconds..

34.jpg

Result of first hole... Yup EASY EASY EASY

36.jpg

Next mark out your location of the drain. Use the actual fitting if you want to !
And then off you go with hole number two. As you can see the tap hole is in the top left of this piccie.

Job is good-un. Total drilling time for both holes. 3 mins.

16.jpg

WANT TO DO IT IN CORIAN.... NO PROBLEMS !

34.jpg

Just repeat the above steps.. It doesnt matter what material you use.

Please note these projects (and others) are on our website in much fuller details.

You can select option 4 - Results and Projects. On this post we are restricted to ten photos so we show 8 pics for the granite and 2 of the corian.

D

Deleted member 1779

Have acquired a piece of polished granite. This is 30mm thick. I want to use it as a vanity top in my bathroom with a counter-top basin on top. The problem is I need to drill two holes in this - one for the tap the other for the waste. Whats the best approach here..

How to diamond drill a hole into a polished granite worktop (the video)

[starts at 1m 42s into the 8m video] and the procedure to drill the hole takes 1m 30s

[yt]NjuUmSksArQ[/yt]

In addition to Granite Worktop, the video also covers porcelain tiles, glass, slate

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to HELP - Need to drill holes in granite worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks