Discuss Help! Grout staining porcelain tiles problem in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gumposam

Hi everyone,

I've just completed laying a bathroom floor with 100x100mm black and white unglazed porcelain tiles ( PEI rated 5) . I've also knocked up a test piece on which to test the grout, as I'm a bit wary of the textured surface of these unglazed tiles. The intended grout colour is black. I have treated the tiles with Lithonfin stain stop, same way as I have treated my test piece.

dxiz69.jpg

As you can see, my grout test has come out terribly, with the white tiles looking grey and like they have a 5 o'clock shadow. What would the best course of action be here? Treat with something else? What would you recommend?

1zokdn5.jpg

Many thanks in advance

T

Tile Shop

Had a couple of queries like this recently. One option, grout them as they are, and clean them with something like the LTP Grout stain remover and a black pad emulsifying pad, but the best solution is to put a sealer over them first before grouting. They're porcelain, so this is not essential, but will help..... you can apply a temporary coat of their MPG sealer. This will sit on the surface and be naturally removed during the cleaning off process. Another one is the BAL protective sealer.

But be careful with both, not to get it down the joints as if it attaches to the sides of the tiles, it can reduce the bond strength of the grout which can lead to it cracking further down the line.

R

Rookery

I'd use Lithofin Protective Impregnator rather than Satin Stop but no doubt Bob will be along soon to advise.

G

Gumposam

Well i gave it a go with an impregnating sealer and it's improved the tile by about 75% , but it's still grimy looking. I've been using Weber Joint Pro in black. so it looks like the only sensible option here is to abandon the black grout altogether - what would you suggest? Does grey grout have any dye in it?

B

Bill

don't use black grout - trust me it is terrible and stains almost everything no matter what impregnator you use.

Use a dark grey grout for floors and within a few weeks of washing, the grout will be black anyhoo.

If you insist on a black grout, try anthracite from the mapei range. Seems about the best one to me for cleaning off.

Nice tiling btw.

G

Gumposam

Thanks Tom, I'm proud of it as it's my first attempt - hence the inexperience - I'm okay with using grey or white, whatever gives the best finish. My worry now is that a white grout would stain a black tile in the same way, maybe that's not a problem though?

G

Gumposam

That looks really nice and clean, unglazed porcelain? Did you have any issues with the grout on the black tile?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sealed before grouting. But still awful to clean, as there is a small lip on the edges of the tile.
Cleaned with emulsifying pad and sealed again.

G

Gumposam

An update for anyone interested - sacked off the black groute and went with Mapei Ultracolour Medium Grey, looks a treat , thank you all for your help and advice.

Reply to Help! Grout staining porcelain tiles problem in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks