Discuss Help - dettol bathroom cleaner left staines on black polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Cdh299

yes it has puzzled me to. The reason he used it as we were already in dispute with them about the fact they left the tiles unsealed for over a week and the tiles had started to get stains in them.

Then one weekend we got home and they had put this stuff on them and the grey grout had gone black!

So you dont think Im in the wrong for using that type of bathroom cleaner on them then?

C

Cdh299

Thanks Dave - however I am going to take it up with B&Q first. (They provided the tiles and tilers...)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If he has left smears on , then he has not buffed off any excess sealer.....i am really unsure about this black stuff...i have never heard of such a product and why use 2 sealers if thats the case.? they will react..

I think you should really clean those tiles back to original and seal again...

I agree with Dave on this one - I think it may be a case of stripping back and re sealing.

Had a look at the data sheets for the MPG again and also the instructions - there is nothing there that I can put my finger on as being a potential issue. I too am unsure of the "black stuff" though. If it is a bleaching effect I cannot see how you will get away with anything other than stripping of the existing sealer and replacing it because as soon as you spray another area of tiles the same thing will happen. I suppose there is an outside possibility that the sealer is not yet fully dried. It does say 3 days before cleaning on the instrctions and this is only a week old. As I said outside chance and possibly complete red herring.

Most general purpose domestic household cleaners tend to be based on similar formulations although they do contain different specific ingredients. I know My wife uses a Dettol one in our bathrooms and I am unaware of any issues other than it takes the gold plating off the taps. (the one she bought said don't use it on gold plate - my fault - did not read the instructions - typical bloke)

C

Cdh299

so just to clarify, you guys have never heard of such a product for tiles that would stain grey grout black?

Am wondering if they have created their own concoction to make the tiles look good enough to say the job is done but not last...

D

DHTiling

yes it has puzzled me to. The reason he used it as we were already in dispute with them about the fact they left the tiles unsealed for over a week and the tiles had started to get stains in them.

Then one weekend we got home and they had put this stuff on them and the grey grout had gone black!

So you dont think Im in the wrong for using that type of bathroom cleaner on them then?

Mmmmmm .. i am inclined to think maybe they have used shoe polish to hide the marks on the tiles before they were sealed....

I think you need to get onto B&Q then...

will you keep us informed please as to how this goes..?

C

Cdh299

Thanks Ajax. The Dettol sais not for use on stone surfaces or marble but nothing about porcelain

However I still cant see why it would strip off the colour on the tiles if the tiles had been treated properly

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If Dave is right and they have used shoe polish the dettol would take that off quite easily. Without knowing what the black stuff is though it is impossible to say for sure. I think B&Q is possibly your first port of call as you say.

C

Cdh299

Will definetly keep you informed Dave!

Do you know if they will easily be able to scrape out the grey grout that had stained black and re grout it?

I cant see how they will be able to do that without damaging the edges of the porcelain tiles?

Sounds like they might have to rip the whole lot out and start again anyway?

C

Cdh299

if this wasnt so worrying i would laugh right now @ Shoe polish! LOL is that a well known 'cowboy tiler' trick?

D

DHTiling

I have seen alsorts used to hide scratches...stains etc...it was just a thought i had that maybe shoe polish might have been used to hide the stains...seen as the joints had gone black as well...and then they buffed it off and applied the sealer and then it smeared...??????

All just summising really because we don't know what he used..but deffo needs looking at.

C

Cdh299

Can i just say that you guys rock! So helpful. There are good people in this world! :hurray:

C

Cdh299

out of interest Dave, if we decide to get our money back and get our own tiler in, can you recommend anyone in the St Albans area?

D

DHTiling

I will able to sort that for you....let us know how it goes first and then we will sort a tiler if needed.

T

Terry Cottar

From your description it sounds to me as though there was either a grout haze or wax left on the tiles and they have tried to cover it

tel

Reply to Help - dettol bathroom cleaner left staines on black polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks