Discuss Help! Advice needed tiles on ply in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Amos78

We're in the middle of tiling the whole ground floor, hubby is not a pro but is capable lol well .... Because the front door entrance there was an issue with the level of the floor , to make it level we tried levelling stuff, but there was another problem with the entrance , anyway it was uneven, so he tiled in the hallway and kitchen by making the bed extra deep. Then as we were using too much adhesive he decided to use ply 6mm but we didn't know that was a big no no. I'm scared that they are gonna come up, so half the hallway and living room is done with ply underneath, obviously concrete is under that. We are doing the rest of the lounge with an extra thick bed as we are obviously too scared to carry on. He won't pull them up and start over, he won't do it He used a semi flexible adhesive and flexible grout will be used once finished. How screwed are we guys? I'm so Angry and worried

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Can I start from the beginning, did hubby just lay the ply on screed floor to get a build up.

A

Amos78

Hi, thanks, he laid the ply on the concrete which was underneath the original flooring, but yes he did it to get a build up.

W

WetSaw

Just to clarify Whitebeams question, how is the ply attached to the concrete floor? Glued? Screwed?

W

White Room

As you stated 6mm ply is a no no, there's every chance it will cause the tiles to move inevitably crack any grout that is applied.

Do you have pictures to verify.

A

Amos78

Yes, this is why I'm posting for help

image.jpeg image.jpeg

A

Amos78

What's does dotted mean ? No he screwed them down. And please we are new at doing this we don't know the jargon. He honestly didn't know about the ply, he's tiled before but never needed ply and when they said harder backer board at 6mm he assumed the ply be ok.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry Amos , it looks like he has put blobs under the tiles instead of spreading the adhesive on the floor with a notched trowel, it leaves voids under the tiles and they can come lose , and if you drop owt on them they will crack :(

W

White Room

What's does dotted mean ? No he screwed them down. And please we are new at doing this we don't know the jargon. He honestly didn't know about the ply, he's tiled before but never needed ply and when they said harder backer board at 6mm he assumed the ply be ok.

Were your tiles fitted with dabs of adhesive like this

Odds 030.jpg

Reply to Help! Advice needed tiles on ply in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks