Discuss heating under carpet as well as tile in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have a job to do in this lovely house... under tile heating in all bathrooms and en-suites. Thing is though in the two main bedrooms he doesn't want to see a radiator on the walls so asked if I could continue the under floor heating under his carpet.
the flooring at the moment is wayrock chipboard. I was thinking; maybe a tilemaster membrane over the floor with a 3mm bed of flexi, then under wire heating then a 10mm latex SLC, or would you use hardi backer boards, or even cement boards on the floor instead of a membrane?
All advice greatly appreciated.
Chris.

Last edited:
O

One Day

10mm thermal boards on the tiled floors (wedi etc) then slc onto the wires. Then just tile. Belt and braces, or if it's a large area - uncouple (ditra etc).
Carpet - I would do the same as for tiled, but make sure that the underlay is low enough tog rated for ufh. VERY important or heat gets trapped and damage occurs.
Also check the requirements carefully with ufh manufacturer when it comes to fitting under carpets.
Please don't use Hardibacker - it's rubbish!

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
10mm thermal boards on the tiled floors (wedi etc) then slc onto the wires. Then just tile. Belt and braces, or if it's a large area - uncouple (ditra etc).
Carpet - I would do the same as for tiled, but make sure that the underlay is low enough tog rated for ufh. VERY important or heat gets trapped and damage occurs.
Also check the requirements carefully with ufh manufacturer when it comes to fitting under carpets.
Please don't use Hardibacker - it's rubbish!
many thanks Impish

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I darent post a link but there's a popular site that sells different kits for fitting under carpets, have a google, it's a different sort of Matt.
yeah its like a foil backed one that you slc over... I'm just wondering about the cement board to lay it on though? the more I think about it the more bullet proof it seems.
thank you though.

O

One Day

Heck I must be tired! Soft floor covering over 10mm wedi would be a bad idea - SORRY! Under carpet you're probably better off using HB (there - I said it!)

F

Flintstone

Insulation boards or insulated underlay are what you need rather than hardie or ply or anything like that

O

Old Mod

thank you for the link... I don't suppose you know if you can connect extra length to the heating cable? the area is about 36m, the site only says the cables go up to 19m. looks just what I'm after though ;)
The maximum length of cable will be determined by the amount of current the system draws.
You mentioned it was over several rooms, it wouldn't make sense to have it all controlled by one thermostat, each room would want its own.
Why heat a room if it's not being used.
And personally I'd prefer a bathroom to be warmer than my bedroom.
But it is a great system and simplicity itself, just as the Schlüter system is.

IMG_7716.JPG IMG_7720.JPG IMG_8206.JPG

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The maximum length of cable will be determined by the amount of current the system draws.
You mentioned it was over several rooms, it wouldn't make sense to have it all controlled by one thermostat, each room would want its own.
Why heat a room if it's not being used.
And personally I'd prefer a bathroom to be warmer than my bedroom.
But it is a great system and simplicity itself, just as the Schlüter system is.

View attachment 88596 View attachment 88597 View attachment 88598
yes its exactly what I was thinking... impressive system (and expertly laid may I add)
the rooms are master bedroom 36m, en-suite 4m, guest bedroom 35m, en-suite 6m, main bathroom 10m. so it would have 5 thermostats. its just if the system would do the bedrooms really... I hope so as it looks the real deal.

O

Old Mod

yes its exactly what I was thinking... impressive system (and expertly laid may I add)
the rooms are master bedroom 36m, en-suite 4m, guest bedroom 35m, en-suite 6m, main bathroom 10m. so it would have 5 thermostats. its just if the system would do the bedrooms really... I hope so as it looks the real deal.
Well with regular electric UFH it should not be run beneath permanent items of furniture or sanitary ware. I can't imagine this being any different.
So you would preferably have some kind of room layout plan to work to, therefore avoiding wardrobes and the like. By the time you leave these spaces out, as you can see in the images above, you may well find you're down to 20m2 anyway.
However, most controllers take multiple mats, up to 4 normally I think, so increaseing the m2 up to even 30m2 from 19m2 is never going to be a problem.

O

Old Mod

Well I did NOT know that!
Just had a look at @Uheat - Jake website? one of our sponsors, and they do a similar system.
I couldn't see which floor coverings it's suitable for, but I'm sure they can easily supply that information in a post here.
Which would be interesting for future reference.

Uheat, UFH with decoupler

Reply to heating under carpet as well as tile in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks