Discuss Hardiebacker Board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Teflon70

Hi,

Need some advice on best way to fix 12mm Hardiebacker board to what was an outside wall in my new extension, which is now to become shower. This wall had been covered in pebble dash. Can I dot & dab it with flexible tile adhesive, with screws & raw plugs afterwards or use a tubes of grap adhesive with screws & raw plugs ?
Wall is approx 2.5m x 1.5m
Also does all Hardiebacker board in shower area need to be completely tanked or just the joints?

W

White Room

Hardie isn't waterproof just water resistant, the wall with the old dash is it within a shower wall or the other side of the room ?

T

Teflon70

The wall forms part of the shower area.
Bought Hardiebacker board already, just needed to know best way to fix it to this wall.

P

p4ulo

Either method you suggest will work well, on the alternative you could batten out the wall and fix to them? Yes, if space is a premium and you don't want to loose much depth, dot n dab or combed adhesive will work well, deffo use rawl-plugs and fixings too.....
Good luck.
Remember - prime and tank afterwards if in a shower area...

T

Teflon70

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have read the instructions you have directed me to, but this situation is somewhat unique, as wall has pebble dash on it, as it was originally an outside wall until extension was built around. That was why was asking if anyone knew of reasonable way around hanging Hardiebacker boards without resorting to hacking off all the pebble dash back to the brick.
The instructions on Hardiebacker site are for ideal situation, this one is not.

J

J Sid

We can only recommend what the product manufacturers recommend for fixing. If we said to do it a different way and it failed you, quite rightly would not be happy....

So that looks like your only option now is to frame out the wall with max 400mm centers. With the wall being so small this shouldn't be a problem and will be a good opportunity to put some insulation behind them.

Perhaps asking some questions on best approach prior to buying the boards may have been a better plan ;)

T

Time's Ran Out

Hardie backer - As long as you cut outside, use a mask, and hold your breath, it's great stuff!
And don't cut next to the customers black Porche.

T

Time's Ran Out

As an adjective - of ability, quality or eminance, considerably above average.
It's all about opinions.

Reply to Hardiebacker Board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks