Discuss Hardibacker Floor Preparation in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

ajc

can I just get a general consensus/hands up on here please:
Does everyone fix hardibacker down with adhesive as well as screws, or does anyone just use screws?

I've always used the adhesive as per manufacturers instructions but speaking to a few traders at the local topps tiles recently, all three others said they didn't bother with the addy? And the staff say you don't need to either (I know not to listen to them too much, but they say that's what their rep says ?!?!)

Oh, this is for a floorboard floor.

Thanks

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Always use adhesive. It's to fill the voids between board and floor. The screws hold the board securely in place.

A

ajc

Reassuring to hear, thanks....will continue to do it without feeling I'm wasting my time over-doing things!

How about no more ply......I've never actually used it, but just looked at their website and they just stick it down with a tube glue and only 8 screws.......is that right?

J

J Sid

Reassuring to hear, thanks....will continue to do it without feeling I'm wasting my time over-doing things!

How about no more ply......I've never actually used it, but just looked at their website and they just stick it down with a tube glue and only 8 screws.......is that right?
Personally I've had bad experiences with no more ply, so avoid it.
There glue tubes used to be pricey.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score

It is correct, I used to use it but found it far too brittle

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Personally I've had bad experiences with no more ply, so avoid it.
There glue tubes used to be pricey.

The MegaStrength glue I use for all sorts of different stuff. Will stick almost anything as long as one surface is porous

W

White Room

You'll find that you will use more glue than they say.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No-more ply all the way IMHO, easy, quick and never had a failure. That glue is something else aswell, never get it on your hands.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Replaced a bathroom floor a couple of years ago. It had raised up in the centre of the room by about 10mm. Cracked every tile in a straight line.
Customer said it was laid onto no more ply. It was! When I took it up it was screwed only ( plenty of them) but screwed only!,!

P

p4ulo

Deffo glue and screw. Its interesting when you have to cut through the whole set-up (floorboards, adhesive and hardie) for plumber etc, the sandwich is solid as a rock....very reassuring.

Reply to Hardibacker Floor Preparation in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks