Discuss Half bullnose? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

culrossblue

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If the size of the half bullnose profiling tool is 10mm i.e b10. Does the curve it make start 5mm either side of the right angle (on the tile)? I'm profiling 10mm marble and wondering if the b10 would be better than the b5.

Q

Qwerty

If the size of the half bullnose profiling tool is 10mm i.e b10. Does the curve it make start 5mm either side of the right angle (on the tile)? I'm profiling 10mm marble and wondering if the b10 would be better than the b5.

No, a b10 has a 10mm radius, a b5 has a 5mm radius. So using a b10 on your 10mm marble will start the half bullnose at the bottom and take it up and around to 10mm past the corner-right angle (a 10mm radius basically!). Depends what look you are after, but I would stick with a b10 for a true half bullnose.

8avejuru.jpg

C

Concrete guy

The image below is a scale drawing of 20mm thick stone which has been profiled with four sizes.

From left to right.

B5 - B10 - B15 - B20.

A B10 profiler (that's a 10mm radius or half a 20mm bullnose) looks quite pronounced on 10mm stone.

The B5 produces a more attractive profile size.

Using a B5 on 10mm thick stone would give a finish to the same scale as the second image from the left below.

ProfileBExample_zpsff7e0836.jpg

Q

Qwerty

You mean you would stick with a b5?
i was thinking a 10mm give you 5mm either side of the right angle

Which of the profiles are you after? Much easier to see when they are set out like that by [MENTION=37954]ATSDiamondTools[/MENTION]

F

Freeze

I prefer to use the profilers on 15mm stone and thicker, still find on 10mm stone (except granite) that I can achieve a better result freehand, also they are a bit fierce in my opinion for a 10mm marble depending on the quality of marble, the profilers from ATS are good quality and a good price, but if you have not used them before (especially on a 10mm marble) have a good practice first, just to get your technique right.

C

Concrete guy

I prefer to use the profilers on 15mm stone and thicker, still find on 10mm stone (except granite) that I can achieve a better result freehand, also they are a bit fierce in my opinion for a 10mm marble depending on the quality of marble, the profilers from ATS are good quality and a good price, but if you have not used them before (especially on a 10mm marble) have a good practice first, just to get your technique right.

For the reasons Darren states here is why we make the cutting head on the B5 slightly less aggressive.

The B10 can be too much for a 10mm marble or travertine as these are a "one grit cuts all" piece of kit.

As a general rule go for a tool half the thickness of the product you're working with.

Half bullnose tools.

10mm/12mm tile = B5
15/20mm tile = B5 or B10 depending how much profile you require.
25/30mm slab = B15
40mm slab = B20
50mm slab = B25

Full bullnose tools are fixed though, they are designed to cut a single thickness product in one go and the stone needs to be pretty well calibrated.

20mm tile/slab = V20
30mm tile/slab = V30
40mm tile/slab = V40
50mm tile/slab = V50

We also offer Ogee in 20mm or 30mm if you wanted to offer a more detailed finish.

Reply to Half bullnose? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks