Discuss Hairline Fracture in Wall Tiles - What could be the cause? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

nalla

Hi lads,
Just been back to a wet room job i done over a year ago and two of the wall tiles (opposite wall to the shower) going into the corner have slight crack lines on them, you can see them but can't feel any lipage, (i used webber low dust rsf) I will replace them no problem and i gather the reason for this is slight wall movement???? also any other tilers on here get simular problems???? Thanks in advance for any replies.

S

SJPurdy

pictures would be useful.
What is the structure of the wall, and what type of tile?
Is there a joint in the boarding behind the tile?
When did the cracks occur?
They shouldn't just crack for no reason and unless you understand the reason then it may happen again when you have replaced them

N

nalla

The cracks are just a sraight line but not following a brick patten or any patten. (sorry i've no photo's

J

J Sid

I think the only way to tell what's going on is to strip wall back and investigate, taking photos as you go

N

nalla

Yes i will take the tiles off and have a look at the wall, come to think of it the cracks are more like crazy paving if anything.

J

J Sid

yes seen it before in Villeroy and Boch ceramic high gloss glaze. Give it a few more weeks in the steamy environment of a shower room and the cracks will get worse as moisture gets into the biscuit though the face. I had the tiles replaced foc.

N

nalla

If i remember correctly, there was some emulsion on some parts of the wall, as for the bed depth it was my half round medium trowel. (approw 5-6mm)

T

Time's Ran Out

The cracks are straight line but like crazy paving!
There was some emulsion on the walls.
Up against it a bit trying to give advice to be honest but when you take the offending tiles of and give some photos and tile type you may get better input.

N

nalla

Hi Dan, I went back to the job on wednesday, it was only when i arrived i remembered that the wall with the cracked tiles on it was bowed from about half way up to the ceiling, originally the wall should have been skimmed from the ceiling down to half way where it could have been feathered in, anyway because of this the adhesive was quite thick where the cracked tiles were, there were no signs of wall movement so i re-applied adhesive to the wall and also back buttered the tile, (it was a homebase ceramic tile 400x200 7mm thick) i then went back the following day to grout the tiles, don't really have an answer to this do you????

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The adhesive has shrunk I guess and eventually cracked the tile. Needs pulling off and replacing perhaps if it's to be done right. What does the customer want doing?

Reply to Hairline Fracture in Wall Tiles - What could be the cause? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks