• Thread starter flynny
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 4K

Discuss Gyvlon nightmare in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

flynny

hi guys
hope you can help me I have laid a floor over a gyvlon screed and didn't realise that you should take the top layer off the screed, the tiles are stuck at the moment but the ufh has not been switched on yet so fingers crossed but my question is should the screed company leave some data spec or should I be aware of what to do

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum flynny.
Are you a pro tiler?
We encourage new members to give us a little background info on themselves, it helps with the level of advice given.
If you are a pro tiler then .......the latter I'm afraid. :(

H

hmtiling

hi guys
hope you can help me I have laid a floor over a gyvlon screed and didn't realise that you should take the top layer off the screed, the tiles are stuck at the moment but the ufh has not been switched on yet so fingers crossed but my question is should the screed company leave some data spec or should I be aware of what to do
In all honesty, i think you should know the procedure if charging for a specialized job. That would entail sanding, commissioning heating, moisture testing and using gypsum based adhesive.
That being said i don't think suppliers of these screeds should have no responsibility for the coverings being fixed to them and should, as you said, leave some sort of info to clients and finishing trades.

F

flynny

Yes I know what your saying, I did do a little research on the screed ie drying times,gypsum based adhesive, priming but didn't look for taking the top layer off the screed
Hi and welcome to the forum flynny.
Are you a pro tiler?
We encourage new members to give us a little background info on themselves, it helps with the level of advice given.
If you are a pro tiler then .......the latter I'm afraid. :(
unfortunately yes been in the game over 20 years and for the first time I feel like a amateur

O

One Day

@Ajax123 - (or anyone else)
Have there been any legal cases yet involving a fixer not knowing what he was fixing to?

Personally, I think that the screed installer should be legally bound to leave an indicator in the screed - something physical to identify what it is. With QR codes and everyone carrying smart phones these days, it isn't exactly a quantum leap in technology but would REALLY help the next guy along out.

O

One Day

Yes I know what your saying, I did do a little research on the screed ie drying times,gypsum based adhesive, priming but didn't look for taking the top layer off the screed

unfortunately yes been in the game over 20 years and for the first time I feel like a amateur

Happens to the best of us! Shows the importance of keeping up with the "geek" side of the industry I suppose.
Also highlights the way we are let down by other trades - time and again... (see my comments above)

O

Old Mod

We all have occasions like that mate, whether it be to a greater or lesser degree.
Don't beat yourself up too much, just got to deal with it now.
Well if guys on here can help, they will.
Fingers crossed.

O

Old Mod

@Ajax123 - (or anyone else)
Have there been any legal cases yet involving a fixer not knowing what he was fixing to?

Personally, I think that the screed installer should be legally bound to leave an indicator in the screed - something physical to identify what it is. With QR codes and everyone carrying smart phones these days, it isn't exactly a quantum leap in technology but would REALLY help the next guy along out.
Nice idea Imp!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The trouble is, most of the companies laying the screeds have no idea what you should do after they have laid the floor.
Ufh and gypsum screeds have been around for a long time now. the trouble is, we normally read instructions when comiming across somthing fir the first time. But for this. There are NO instructions without researching the Internet.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We've been down this road many times and Alan (ajax) opinion all screeds should be sanded.
So hands up...who Sands a sand and cement screed?.

F

flynny

We all have occasions like that mate, whether it be to a greater or lesser degree.
Don't beat yourself up too much, just got to deal with it now.
Well if guys on here can help, they will.
Fingers crossed.
Cheers pal not sure to tell the customer or take a chance on them staying down

O

Old Mod

Cheers pal not sure to tell the customer or take a chance on them staying down
Well I suppose a lot may do on your relationship with your client, and only you can make that call.
Of course you could be worrying them unnecessarily. Has the heating actually been commissioned?
Thinking back, did there seem to be a lot of surface laitence?
I appreciate you didn't notice it at the time, but in hindsight, do you?
Personally I have no idea if there any legal obligations to inform them, maybe someone else does?

F

flynny

Well I suppose a lot may do on your relationship with your client, and only you can make that call.
Of course you could be worrying them unnecessarily. Has the heating actually been commissioned?
Thinking back, did there seem to be a lot of surface laitence?
I appreciate you didn't notice it at the time, but in hindsight, do you?
Personally I have no idea if there any legal obligations to inform them, maybe someone else does?
We've been down this road many times and Alan (ajax) opinion all screeds should be sanded.
So hands up...who Sands a sand and cement screed?.
nope just give it brush

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Im not aware of any legal cases where the tiler has been sued for not identifying the screed nor any where the screeder has failed to leave data etc.

in this instance if the floor was dry and anhydrite adhesive was used there is a good chance t will stay stuck. no guarantees though im afraid.

as for legal responsiblity on the screeder in europe its the other way round the tiler takes responsibility for the screed being right, the screeder takes it for the prep and insulation and so on through the contract chain. that siad there are probably as many failures if not more in europe than over here. that is testament at least to the work we have done in getting the correct info out there. and really it doesnt take a lot of finding.

V

Versatile

I've just had this on a job where builder said it doesn't need sanding
My house has been done and I never sanded it
So I asked him if it fails will you stump up the dough to replace
Typically non committal
I sanded and gypsum based adhesive

Reply to Gyvlon nightmare in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks