Discuss Grouting woes in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Fingers

TF
Reaction score
IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG
Morning all,

I'm after some advice re grouting..
I consider myself to be a good DIY tiler (well I did anyway).

I've previously used glazed tiles and had no problem cleaning them up after grouting, but having helped out a friend with a large floor area I've found cleaning the tiles a nightmare.

Can someone advise as to the best method of cleaning (I regularly changed for clean water but am thinking I tackled too big an area at a time and left the grout on the tiles too long?)

My sore blistered hands would appreciate any advice...

Fingers

TF
Reaction score
Hi Andy. I was assured that they didn't need sealing and there was nothing in the packaging to suggest they did. Grout wise it was Bal micromax
Cheers

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Your going to need a grout stain remover...There's a chap on here called Lithofin BOB......he deals with these kind of products......hopefully he will be along soon and can recommend a way forward.
BTW... Welcome to the forum..

T

Tile Shop

Both tiles look like glazed porcelain or ceramic. If thats the case then they don't need sealing.

However

In the past we have suggested for heavily textured tiles, the LTP MPG or the BAL Protective sealer before grouting to act as a temporary barrier up until the grouting is complete. Bit of a ball ache as you have to ensure you don't get any in the joints as they "might" affect the bond of the grout. Makes it easier to clean, but they are not essential. The issue may just be that you left it on a little too long.

Next course of action would be a dilute solution of either Lithofins Grout Residue Remover or LTP's Grout Stain remover, scrubbed with a black emulsifying pad. Apply, scrub, leave for 10 minutes, scrub, rince, repeat if required. Follow the instructions on the tin for the recommended dilution ratios.

On the plus side though, grout aside, looks like you've done a good job. What tiles are they? looking at similar terracotta effect for my patio.

Fingers

TF
Reaction score
Cheers Paul, that's a big help.. yeah I was pleased with it until grouting. I couldn't do it for a living though as I definitely lack speed!

They were ragno terracotta effect tiles. I think he got them from walls&floors website but can check if you want

I

Italy

Cheers Paul, that's a big help.. yeah I was pleased with it until grouting. I couldn't do it for a living though as I definitely lack speed!

They were ragno terracotta effect tiles. I think he got them from walls&floors website but can check if you want
is porcelain, glazed

T

Tile Shop

No need to check. I'm quite familiar with their products and as it turns out, it is the same range I'm looking at :)

But nice to see it laid over a bigger area. Only ever seen the odd sample tile and the factory images of room sets.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As Paul c on his first cleaning advice, I would only add to work controlled sections not try and do half the floor at a time, I work in 2-3 Sqm at a time , pre wet the joints with a sponge ( this will aid to stop the acidic product lightening or burning the grout in the joint) and test the diluted residue remover product you have. Work with the pad, remove and rinse well. If you are left with a white cloudy smear after this test again or you may need to test an alkaline product to break the polymer

Reply to Grouting woes in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks