Discuss Grouting help please! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Crumbs

hi guys,

I need to grout a bathroom in a few weeks for a friend and wondered what is better - a squeegee or a float for the job? I've read floats are easier but i already have the squeegee so if i can use that ofc id prefer but if its going to do a poor job, would a float be better?

Also another question - should the joints be shaped as in removing some of the grout using a finishing tool or just make the grout level?

Thanks guys :D

F

Flintstone

Use anything you like as long as you fill the joints fully and remove the rest off the surface. Leave to harden as per instructions then wash with a propper grout sponge without using too much water, jobs a good en

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would use a grout float like this
20170628_170114.png

Work the grout into the joints , allow them to firm up and wipe clean with a damp sponge.
20170628_170136.png

Give the vertical and horizontal joints a final wipe with the sponge and this will eliminate the need to use a tool to finish the joints.

T

Tilerdurden

Float for me. Used like a plastering trowel starting at 45 degree and closing trowel as passing to utilise full float on each pass. Go 45 degree angle across joints too gives better fill with each pass. Imo

C

Crumbs

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. So what about the grout level, thats whats confusing me how to deal with it... does simply wiping over it again after about 15 mins do the trick, should i put a slight bit pressure into the sponge or just wipe gently again? cheers :D

Reply to Grouting help please! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks